Movie Talk

Little Big Man the movie is fine but the novel is the real gem.    One of my handful of favorite novels of all time.

I also liked In Bruges.

March of the Wooden Soldiers on TCM.

Just about my favorite movie as a child. Nothing was more thrilling than when the soldiers marched at the end.

Caught of few minutes of Planes, Trains, and Automobiles.  Couldn't pass up the scene on the highway. "You're driving the wrong way. You're going to kill somebody."

Why do we lose so many great comic actors.

Saw two terrific films at the Angelika over the holiday break.

LIVING, with Bill Nighy, about a stiff British civil servant and how he responds to bad medical news. His performance is so amazing, a 180º change from his role in Love Actually; so striking and profoundly dark.

WOMEN TALKING with a cast of great woman actors. Rooney Mara, Francis McDormand, Clare Foy, Judith Ivey and others. It's a bit of a tendential, intellectual talkfest. Takes place in an unnamed, undated Mennonite-type colony where the women discuss acceptance, aggression and escape. A bit stagey and talky but fascinating. 

Saw Glass Onion a couple of nights ago. Pretty enjoyable, with some great moments, though if you look closely, there are some plot holes.

Worth watching though. A fun movie.

I also saw "The Banshees of Inisherin" with Colon Farrel and Brendan Gleason. They were also in "In Bruges." This one's a bit silly but it's nice to see these two actors working together. Add a star if you like anything with an Irish accent. Subtract a star if you don't like films where some of the main characters are farm animals. I saw it in the theater, but I think it's now avail on streaming.  

We saw The Pale Blue Eye at The Claridge this week,

It will be streaming on Netflix Friday...

Dark, clever who done it?

rcarter31 said:

We saw The Pale Blue Eye at The Claridge this week,

It will be streaming on Netflix Friday...

Dark, clever who done it?

I have that one on my list to see when it hits Netflix. 

Highly recommend Avatar--the time flew by, great story, but the star of the show was the technology.  Simply amazing.  Recommend you see it in 3D.  Only to be seen in a theater IMHO.  

This weekend I saw "A Man Called Otto" starring Tom Hanks. Truth is, I think Tom Hanks is a bit overexposed. How much money could the guy possibly need? It's not a bad movie if very predictable. Good supporting actors. Clint Eastwood made the identical move a few years back called Gran Turino. Exact same plot. Grumpy widower warms up after begrudgingly making nice with alien neighbors. 

And I saw LIVING again. Took the GF to see it. Bill Nighy is so wonderful. I was moved by the film more the second time. 

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

I also saw "The Banshees of Inisherin" with Colon Farrel and Brendan Gleason. They were also in "In Bruges." This one's a bit silly but it's nice to see these two actors working together. Add a star if you like anything with an Irish accent. Subtract a star if you don't like films where some of the main characters are farm animals. I saw it in the theater, but I think it's now avail on streaming.  

It's a heck of a character study this one. I laughed and winced all the way through, and ultimately I'm not sure if I liked it, even though I enjoyed watching it. Gorgeous photography, incredible acting and direction. Irish humor can be very black, and I think this might be the blackest Irish humor I've seen yet. It's available on HBO Max right now.

Has anyone mentioned The Menu - I really liked it - great cast!  It's on HBO Max.

I enjoyed Banshees more as a parable than as a slice of life. Otherwise, the actions of the characters (Siobhán excluded) would have given me a splitting headache.

I liked Elvis.

Here's the Oscar nominees:

https://www.imdb.com/oscars/nominations/?ref_=scl_tw_csegosc

Also saw Pinocchio which is on Netflix - really incredible stop action animation.  There's also a half hour special which gave a behind the scenes look at how it was made.  

DaveSchmidt said:

I enjoyed Banshees more as a parable than as a slice of life. Otherwise, the actions of the characters (Siobhán excluded) would have given me a splitting headache.

they sort of hit us over the head with the story being a metaphor for the civil war. Well-acted and compelling, but ultimately kind of hard to watch. 

jamie said:

Has anyone mentioned The Menu - I really liked it - great cast!  It's on HBO Max.

we saw The Menu last month on the big screen. No question it was highly entertaining with some terrific acting. Ralph Fiennes of course, and I thought Judith Light was really good in an understated performance. It was about as dark as a dark comedy can be, and one of the creepiest films I've seen in a long time. My only criticism is that on reflection the film wasn't really about anything. It has all the trappings of a social satire, but in the end the center of the story was kind of empty. The statement it made IMHO was a lot smaller than I thought it was going to be. The motivation turned out to be more personal and petty than a grander social comment.

jamie said:

I liked Elvis.

Also saw Pinocchio which is on Netflix - really incredible stop action animation.  There's also a half hour special which gave a behind the scenes look at how it was made.  

I heard good things about Elvis before I watched it.  I can't get over how bad Tom Hanks was.  The fat suit and bizarre accent were a big distraction, and the movie was too slow and long. The lead actor was really good as Elvis and the singing scenes were very well done.  

yahooyahoo said:

jamie said:

I liked Elvis.

I heard good things about Elvis before I watched it.  I can't get over how bad Tom Hanks was.  The fat suit and bizarre accent were a big distraction, and the movie was too slow and long. The lead actor was really good as Elvis and the singing scenes were very well done.  

I recently saw Tom Hanks in "A Man Called Otto," as I mentioned above. The guy is spread too thin, too many projects, Directors think he can do or be anything, but it ain't true. He's pulls in dollars, that's for sure, but in his recent films he's not very good. 

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

I recently saw Tom Hanks in "A Man Called Otto," as I mentioned above. The guy is spread too thin, too many projects, Directors think he can do or be anything, but it ain't true. He's pulls in dollars, that's for sure, but in his recent films he's not very good. 

Regarding Tom Hanks, I've already seen A Man Called Ove, so didn't need to see this version. However, I really liked him in Finch, a small one-man movie he made for AppleTV+.

ridski said:

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

Regarding Tom Hanks, I've already seen A Man Called Ove, so didn't need to see this version. However, I really liked him in Finch, a small one-man movie he made for AppleTV+.

I'll have to add that one to my ever-expanding list of TV to watch. 

I’ve now seen both Knives Out movies.  I don’t get the rave reviews.  Daniel Craig is more cringe worthy than funny/entertaining. 

jeffl said:

I’ve now seen both Knives Out movies.  I don’t get the rave reviews.  Daniel Craig is more cringe worthy than funny/entertaining. 

his Foghorn Leghorn impression is spot on though

ml1 said:

jeffl said:

his Foghorn Leghorn impression is spot on though

You should watch "Logan Lucky."  An underrated movie, in my opinion.  

yahooyahoo said:

Except on MOL.

https://maplewood.worldwebs.com/forums/discussion/logan-lucky

DaveSchmidt said:

yahooyahoo said:

Except on MOL.

https://maplewood.worldwebs.com/forums/discussion/logan-lucky

Wow, Rex has a serious problem with Soderbergh.  To be honest, I didn't realize he was still working.

Thought the First Knives movie was better than the second.  The second was too slick, too "aren't we clever" smug, and too long (my general mantra is you better have a really good excuse for making a movie longer than 2 hours - I prefer 90 minutes).  But hardly terrible.  Also liked Logan Lucky.  Logan Lucky was not underappreciated, at least not by critics.  It got excellent reviews. I don't know how popular it was.  

We’re planning a vacation to Scotland, so we watched Braveheart for the first time last night. The actor playing King Edward reminded me a lot of Patrick McGoohan. I even remarked to my wife at one point, “It’s like he’s doing an impersonation in certain spots.”

I’m an idiot.

DaveSchmidt said:

We’re planning a vacation to Scotland, so we watched Braveheart for the first time last night. The actor playing King Edward reminded me a lot of Patrick McGoohan. I even remarked to my wife at one point, “It’s like he’s doing an impersonation in certain spots.”

I’m an idiot.

Here's where I mention that most of the events in Braveheart were invented, and it was mostly filmed in Ireland. Great movie, though!

ridski said:

Here's where I mention that most of the events in Braveheart were invented, and it was mostly filmed in Ireland. Great movie, though!

Yeah, just wanted to accustom ourselves to all the men riding horses in kilts we’ll encounter.

Over the weekend I saw CLOSE, a movie from Belgium that was nominated for an Oscar in the international film category. It's a heartbreaking story of two young boys, so beautifully acted by all involved, esp. the two boys. I saw it in a theater in NYC, but I expect it'll be streaming before too long. 

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.