Movie Talk

Jasmo said:

Just saw Parallel Mothers by Pedro Almodovar, on Amazon, though had to pay extra. If you're familiar with his work and are a fan, it's another brilliant, thought-provoking, semi - tragic and beautifully acted drama starring Penelope Cruz. 

Yes, I loved it, too. 

I have to say that the ending of Dirty Dancing is one of the best happy endings ever.  The music is huge there. Good song.

(I do have a problem with some of the solo Swayze choreography, but other than that...)

Watching The Deer Hunter, and was surprised to hear the Tetris music playing at the wedding.

drummerboy said:

Watching The Deer Hunter, and was surprised to hear the Tetris music playing at the wedding.

One of my all-time fave films. What a cast! 

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

drummerboy said:

One of my all-time fave films. What a cast! 

And has some of the tensest scenes ever put on film.

brrrrr

Loved The Deer Hunter. Christopher Walken had me through the entire film. And as intense as that film was I saw it back to back with  Midnight Express. in the theater. Crammed them both in before watching the Academy Awards, at a time when I felt the Award ceremonies were worthwhile.

deniro in this scene is just flat out amazing. hardly any dialog, just facial expressions

the editing is pretty damn good too

drummerboy said:

deniro in this scene is just flat out amazing. hardly any dialog, just facial expressions

the editing is pretty damn good too

Yeah, amazing. I can't/won't watch it again. Waaaay too intense. 

If you like jazz, as I do, check out RONNIE'S, on Prime, about Ronnie Scott's jazz club in London. (I was there twice and had a ball both times.) Some great music in the film from, among others, Oscar Peterson and Buddy Rich, a surprise visit from Jimi Hendrix and an absolutely awful, painful-to-watch performance of Send in the Clowns by Van Morrison and Chet Baker. (My attitude toward Van has changed radically over the past few years.)

"I like the trees.",

For me it was all about that sweet music and that gentle statement, with the sweet facial expression. "I like the trees" The whole story was about him. Nick.

I saw The Lost City the other day, with Sandra Bullock and Channing Tatum and Daniel Radcliffe. (also has Oscar from The Office.)

I liked it. It was a lot of fun and Bullock and Tatum had good chemistry. Recommended.

Come to think of it, I saw Dog with Channing Tatum also very recently and that was very entertaining too.

And speaking of one word animal titles, I saw Pig with Nicolas Cage. Also very good and definitely the more original of the three.

Morganna said:

"I like the trees.",

For me it was all about that sweet music and that gentle statement, with the sweet facial expression. "I like the trees" The whole story was about him. Nick.

Such a wonderful film but so devastatingly heartbreaking. Not sure I could watch it again without breaking down totally. 

I'm particularly moved by books, films,,etc. about the war in VietNam. This one, and Platoon, Coming Home, Running on Empty, even Full Metal Jacket, all so powerful and so heartbreaking. Should be required viewing in American history classes.   

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

I'm particularly moved by books, films,,etc. about the war in VietNam. This one, and Platoon, Coming Home, Running on Empty, even Full Metal Jacket, all so powerful and so heartbreaking. Should be required viewing in American history classes.

The Boys in Company C, which predates the rest but rarely gets mentioned anymore (and not much even then), also stands out for me.

DaveSchmidt said:

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

I'm particularly moved by books, films,,etc. about the war in VietNam. This one, and Platoon, Coming Home, Running on Empty, even Full Metal Jacket, all so powerful and so heartbreaking. Should be required viewing in American history classes.

The Boys in Company C, which predates the rest but rarely gets mentioned anymore (and not much even then), also stands out for me.

Frankly, I don't remember that one. I just watched the trailer. Maybe I'll watch it although these things get me very upset these days. 

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

Such a wonderful film but so devastatingly heartbreaking. Not sure I could watch it again without breaking down totally. 

I'm particularly moved by books, films,,etc. about the war in VietNam. This one, and Platoon, Coming Home, Running on Empty, even Full Metal Jacket, all so powerful and so heartbreaking. Should be required viewing in American history classes.   

Coming Home is a classic that is never shown. Great film.

Oh and as a Long Island guy, surprised you omitted Born on the Fourth of July, which plays frequently. I watch it whenever it's on.

Morganna said:

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

Coming Home is a classic that is never shown. Great film.

Oh and as a Long Island guy, surprised you omitted Born on the Fourth of July, which plays frequently. I watch it whenever it's on.

yes, read the Ron Kovic book and saw the Tom Cruise epic. Not sure I would put it in the same category as those films above.

Last week my son started a podcast called Millennial Movie Club.  He made some TikToks of snippets of some of the podcasts which already have 100,000 likes!  The first three movies they've done are Mrs. Doubtfire, Jurassic Park, and Romy and Michele's High School Reunion.  You can listen on Spotify and a few other places.  

The first link gives you way to listen to the podcast.  The second link shows you some of their TikToks.

Of course I think he and his pal, Jaz, are great, but check it out!

https://linktr.ee/millennialmovieclub

https://vm.tiktok.com/ZTdQhD4KP/

hmmm. microsoft defender is upset at something. can't even override it.

it works ok if I use Chrome instead of Firefox.

Yeah   I can’t link at work either  I guess it gets an explicit rating due to profanity  

drummerboy said:

jeffl said:

Yeah   I can’t link at work either  I guess it gets an explicit rating due to profanity  

drummerboy said:

yeah, but I'm doing this from home.

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

yes, read the Ron Kovic book and saw the Tom Cruise epic. Not sure I would put it in the same category as those films above.

As V A hospital scenes go it was more disturbing than the glimpse in Deer Hunter and Coming Home.  Also a more challenging role than the usual Tom Cruise films. I'm always moved by wounded warrior stories. Maybe worth another look.

As for Kovic's early use of the phrase, America, love it or leave it, I found myself recalling it when I was recently reading a popular All Politics thread.

And what's up, you fell off the map on Music Edition.

Morganna said:

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

And what's up, you fell off the map on Music Edition.

Moi? I was waiting for you. Am I up next? 

funny

Saw Everything Everywhere All At Once.

meh.

Certainly keeps your attention. It's visually very arresting. But after awhile it seemed like they were doing the same set pieces over and over (lots of fighting). Some clever ideas, some funny moments, generally good performances, but in the end?

meh

The editor probably deserves an Oscar though. Tour de force.

drummerboy said:

meh.

Certainly keeps your attention. It's visually very arresting. But after awhile it seemed like they were doing the same set pieces over and over (lots of fighting). Some clever ideas, some funny moments, generally good performances, but in the end?

meh

Thanks for this. I've been looking forward to seeing it. I think I still will.

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

drummerboy said:

meh.

meh

Thanks for this. I've been looking forward to seeing it. I think I still will.

yeah, I think it's worth seeing.  It's quite inventive. I guess my main complaint is that by the end, my main reaction was "what just happened?". Maybe I should have paid more attention.

one of my favorite endings, Muppet style

I recently watched a powerful film on HBO The Survivor. It is a moving portrayal of Auschwitz survivor and boxer Harry Haft. 

In a world of Holocaust deniers, it is important to keep these stories alive.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.