Meet the Mets (For Mets Fans Only!)

DanDietrich said:

Now my next gripe.  All this talk about pitchers being overused and having two games today.  But Riley throws 8 pitches and looks good and using him for another inning is never even discussed.  And our 8th and 9th inning guys blow it.

I get it. But they all had yesterday off. And if you save your best relievers in a close game for the 2nd game and your lesser guys blow it, fans and the press also go nuts. And then if you get blown out in the 2nd game it's even worse -- people complain you didn't try to win the game at hand because you were holding guys back for the 2nd game. 

I didnt have a huge problem with using Ottavino and Robertson this afternoon. There is an off day tomorrow. And hopefully JV will give them 7 tonight  

to me it wasn't about holding back your best guy.  Who is your best guy right then?  Your regular but overworked 8th inning guy or the guy that just breezed through the 7th on 8 pitches and is already warmed and settled in?    I agree about winning the game you are playing.  

DanDietrich said:

to me it wasn't about holding back your best guy.  Who is your best guy right then?  Your regular but overworked 8th inning guy or the guy that just breezed through the 7th on 8 pitches and is already warmed and settled in?    I agree about winning the game you are playing.  

Completely agree. Raley needed to go another inning.

jimmurphy said:

DanDietrich said:

Completely agree. Raley needed to go another inning.

he is coming off an IL stint, so I think that factored in.  

Well, he just nailed it down, so two innings wasn't impossible. Great stuff by Verlander.  The team really needed that.

Some weak defense tonight.  Can't do that behind Megill, he isn't good enough.

DanDietrich said:

I can excuse Baty for the non-throw.

Why is Gary Sanchez on this team, unless they plan to flip him? 

Alvarez should play.

Do they think Sanchez is better than Narvaez? Are they done with Nido (not necessarily the worst thing) ?

They’ve created a logjam at catcher for no reason.

jimmurphy said:

DanDietrich said:

Alvarez should play.

Do they think Sanchez is better than Narvaez? Are they done with Nido (not necessarily the worst thing) ?

Sanchez was brutal tonight. He's gone whenever Nido or Narvaez are ready to come back.

The position is catcher, and Sanchez can't...

jimmurphy said:

DanDietrich said:

Alvarez should play.

I agree.  Whatever value Sanchez may have had as a trade chip evaporated last night.  Release him. I thought that Alvarez would be a defensive liability and I was wrong.  He has earned the starting job.

Sanchez, Vogelbach, Pham, Escobar, Canha.  In that order.  That's who I would trade or release.  

Edited to add that any minor league pitcher, even one on the IL for any of these guys would be my ask.

edited again to add that I would eat their salaries as well.  It's not my money.

Well, I got the first one right.  And I think I'll get number 2 soon.

Why drop Escobar? He can play a few positions, hits right handed well and can run a bit. I would keep Canha for now as well. The other 3 can go. Keith tends to be overly optimistic, but I don't see how he thought Vogelbach not being able to get a ball out of the infield at Coors Field is a step in the right direction.

I'd like to see Luis Guillorme back, and Mauricio up.  That squeezes those guys, especially if they carry an extra arm, which I think that they should.  

DanDietrich said:

I'd like to see Luis Guillorme back, and Mauricio up.  That squeezes those guys, especially if they carry an extra arm, which I think that they should.  

Cut Vogelbach and Pham and bring up Mauricio and either Guillorme or a reliever. Vogelbach is basically hitting like Guillorme now, without being able to run a little bit and play 3 positions well. 

I really thought that they were going to cut Vogelbach today.  Instead they let him strike out as a pinch hitter.

DanDietrich said:

I really thought that they were going to cut Vogelbach today.  Instead they let him strike out as a pinch hitter.

I have no idea why he's still on the team. He rarely gets on and if he does get on you have to pinch run for him. Keep Vientos in against righties or see if Escobar is really out of his slump. Or bring up Mauricio. 

As much as the Mets have struggled they've played pretty well at home. And so far they've only had 22 home games. Even if they just have the same winning percentages at home and on the road the rest of the way they'd win 85 games, which would be in contention for a wild card. 

And that assumes no improvements from shedding underperforming veterans or adding to the bullpen at the deadline. 

It's way too early for fans to panic. 

jfinnegan said:

DanDietrich said:

I have no idea why he's still on the team. He rarely gets on and if he does get on you have to pinch run for him. Keep Vientos in against righties or see if Escobar is really out of his slump. Or bring up Mauricio. 

I think they have been giving Vogelbach his last few chances before he's DFA. His OBP is still pretty good, but you're right, because he can't run those walks aren't very valuable. They aren't paying him to be a walk machine with a.300 slugging % 

Senga looked great last night. I missed the first 3 innings, but there must have been some deep counts, because they had no walks and only one hit and he still was past 100 pitches after 7 innings. 

ml1 said:

jfinnegan said:

DanDietrich said:

I think they have been giving Vogelbach his last few chances before he's DFA. His OBP is still pretty good, but you're right, because he can't run those walks aren't very valuable. They aren't paying him to be a walk machine with a.300 slugging % 

I thought that his last few chances were in Chicago and Colorado.  I'd rather see Vientos because even a strikeout is a learning opportunity for him.  And I would bring up Mauricio.

jfinnegan said:

Senga looked great last night. I missed the first 3 innings, but there must have been some deep counts, because they had no walks and only one hit and he still was past 100 pitches after 7 innings. 

Exactly right on the deep counts.  He settled in though.  

The forkball had them flummoxed. Exactly 100 pitches, I think.

DanDietrich said:

ml1 said:

jfinnegan said:

DanDietrich said:

I thought that his last few chances were in Chicago and Colorado.  I'd rather see Vientos because even a strikeout is a learning opportunity for him.  And I would bring up Mauricio.

they can rotate Vientos, Baty, Escobar, and Pham through DH to give guys days off in the field. Maybe even Alonso and Lindor on occasion. The word from the scouts is that Mauricio is still working on plate discipline and they think big league pitchers will expose that if they bring him up now. We may seem him later in the summer, but probably not soon. Worst thing for a young player would be to have him tear up AAA, then come up to the majors and really struggle. Especially for a team with WS aspirations.

ml1 said:

they can rotate Vientos, Baty, Escobar, and Pham through DH to give guys days off in the field. Maybe even Alonso and Lindor on occasion. The word from the scouts is that Mauricio is still working on plate discipline and they think big league pitchers will expose that if they bring him up now. We may seem him later in the summer, but probably not soon. Worst thing for a young player would be to have him tear up AAA, then come up to the majors and really struggle. Especially for a team with WS aspirations.

what may be even worse is to bring him up and then bench him for a week so Vogelbach gets to play. I would like to see Vientos play in at least 5 games straight to see if he can get his timing down. It's tough when he is playing every other day. Hopefully he'll be back in there tonight.

Okay, I can see that.  Bring back Guillerme.  

Headed to the game tonight. Carrasco on the mound. Vogelbach at DH. And Alvarez on the bench 

:-(

ml1 said:

Headed to the game tonight. Carrasco on the mound. Vogelbach at DH. And Alvarez on the bench 

:-(

oof.

Put it in the books. Thanks Mark Canha 

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.