Meet the Mets (For Mets Fans Only!)

jfinnegan said:

I think Correa will end up in NY. And I'm happy Randazzo is gone. Wasn't a fan. Never bothered to do some research on the history of the Mets and NY sports in general.

I thought Josh Lewin was the best partner Howie has had in the past decade. 

I liked Lewin. Gary and Howie will be tough to replace. Wayne did a at least one series on TV this past year. There was no connections between him and his partner, though it seemed like he and Gelbs were close.

Correa to the Twins, possibly.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/carlos-correa-twins-reportedly-agree-to-new-200-million-deal-after-mets-agreement-stalls-over-physical-concerns-172519083.html

Carlos Correa has reportedly agreed to his third free-agent deal of the offseason, this one a six-year, $200 million pact to return to the Minnesota Twins. The star shortstop previously struck tentative agreements with the San Francisco Giants and New York Mets, only to see the deals stall out and disintegrate over concerns that arose during his physical.

ESPN's Jeff Passan reports the deal includes a vesting option that could bring the total to $270 million.

Well, good luck to him.  The Mets will be okay.  

Ohtani's price just went up $100,000,000 or so.

I am in the market for a Carlos Correa shirt with the Giants colors and logo on the left; the Mets logo and colors on the right; and the twins logo and colors on the back.

I've got a never-worn black Mets deGrom jersey. Tags still on it. Probably worth $0 at this moment.

ml1 said:

I've got a never-worn black Mets deGrom jersey. Tags still on it. Probably worth $0 at this moment.

they're still for sale on the Mets' website. They had Baez jerseys on sale last year. I'm tempted to buy a Nimmo jersey now that I know he'll be around for a while. 

jfinnegan said:

they're still for sale on the Mets' website. They had Baez jerseys on sale last year. I'm tempted to buy a Nimmo jersey now that I know he'll be around for a while. 

sure.  the Mets have unused inventory. grin

But is the one in my house worth anything? I'm thinking "no."

guess it really is hard to win without some guy feeding you inside information.

ml1 said:

sure.  the Mets have unused inventory.
grin

But is the one in my house worth anything? I'm thinking "no."

random question. Does his number get retired? I think definitely if they didn't screw up and give Bauer the Cy Young instead of him. 

Back with the happy recap...

how lucky are we as fans to have had such sustained excellence in the radio and TV booths?  I hope there's some teenage Met fans out there taking notes from Gary and Howie, and working on their chops so that the chain can be unbroken when Cohen and Rose eventually retire.

Other than the Fran Healy era we have been spoiled. My friend's son is going to Hofstra for broadcasting and knows more about the Mets than anybody I know. It's a tough field to make it to the top in. 

jfinnegan said:

Other than the Fran Healy era we have been spoiled. My friend's son is going to Hofstra for broadcasting and knows more about the Mets than anybody I know. It's a tough field to make it to the top in. 

that young man sounds like he's on the right path grin

Train_of_Thought said:

Nice gesture, Pirates.

nobody deserves it more than Gary

Nice job getting McNeil signed.  

DanDietrich said:

at what looks like a bargain to me. 

ml1 said:

DanDietrich said:

I think it's a great deal. I love this team. Love what they're doing. It feels like the grown-ups are finally in charge. 

Putting it out here first. SAVE THE DATE. We're running an outing to the Binghamton Rumble Ponies (NYM) vs Somerset Patriots (NYY) on Thursday, May 4. 

We're gonna be on the party deck, tickets are limited. Stay tuned for more details. 

ml1 said:

it does seem pretty reasonable, although they bought out two years of team control.  If you look at McNeil cold and hard, he's probably not going to get the big deal two years from now at his age without much power.

DanDietrich said:

it does seem pretty reasonable, although they bought out two years of team control.  If you look at McNeil cold and hard, he's probably not going to get the big deal two years from now at his age without much power.

agreed about the team control. I wonder what arbitration figure he would have submitted?

I thought I read that it was a little over 7 million, but I could be wrong. They actually were not that far apart.

McNeil is a good example of why owners wanted to keep guys in the minors to deprive them of service time. Wasn't really the case with McNeil, who was more of a late bloomer. But the difference in salary is striking with guys who came up younger. MLB's Top Ten 2B Right Now list has McNeil at #2. The guys at 1 (Altuve) and 3 (Semien) are making twice as much in AAV as McNeil, and for longer terms. 

The commercial during the football game was amusing. A co-worker said he would prefer they put that $7 mil towards signing Alonso. I told him I don't see money being a factor if they decide they want to keep Alonso long term. I said I would prefer he put that $7 mil towards buying the Jets. 

jfinnegan said:

The commercial during the football game was amusing. A co-worker said he would prefer they put that $7 mil towards signing Alonso. I told him I don't see money being a factor if they decide they want to keep Alonso long term. I said I would prefer he put that $7 mil towards buying the Jets. 

the Mets are a major turnaround project.  The Jets are a hopeless cause.

Re Cohen, If Yankees reciprocate for Michael Kay, I am officially out.

I have to admit I wouldn't have minded if they played the Mets commercial at the end of every quarter in the Super Bowl. I wonder why Pete wasn't in it. 

Lots of reports that Keith is coming back!

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.