Meet the Mets (For Mets Fans Only!)

The lesson here: Met fans from Clark are not to be trusted.

How about something like a 6 or 7 year deal with Correa?  Or a long-term deal with mutual opt-out clause after X years.  No one is going to sign him to a super-long deal now.

I don't even care that much if they don't sign him. He's going to have to have wording put in the contract at the very least. I wonder if that was why the Astros let him walk. They ended up with a solid SS anyway. The garbage can fiasco still bothers me.

Train_of_Thought said:

Will Clark was a good ballplayer. 

Train_of_Thought said:

Mets fans who didn't leave Clark can't be trusted. 

As per Correa, it's not my money.  If Cohen is willing to give him the contract knowing that he may have to eat a bunch of it later, that's up to him.  And no one can dictate a contract to him.  Pull it back a bunch and he can go elsewhere.  The guy is a good player.

I don't know what made me think about this today, but will Dom Smith play in the majors this season?

Discuss. 

Do the Red Sox have a first baseman? Maybe the Marlins. He didn't show anything last year, but I'm sure somebody will sign him and invite him to spring training. He's still young. 

jfinnegan said:

Do the Red Sox have a first baseman? Maybe the Marlins. He didn't show anything last year, but I'm sure somebody will sign him and invite him to spring training. He's still young. 

It was reported that the Cubs talked to him during the Winter Meetings. Doesn't sound as if it went anywhere. 

He should probably go play in Korea for a year to try and reestablish himself. 

Soul_29 said:

jfinnegan said:

It was reported that the Cubs talked to him during the Winter Meetings. Doesn't sound as if it went anywhere. 

I checked his career earnings and he's already made $10.2 million.  He has F-U money, so he doesn't have to take the first offer.

yahooyahoo said:

Soul_29 said:

jfinnegan said:

I checked his career earnings and he's already made $10.2 million.  He has F-U money, so he doesn't have to take the first offer.

after taxes and agent/mgmt fees, and a decade of living expenses he's lucky if he's got $2MM left. To last another 50 years. 

Not FU money for most people. 

ml1 said:

yahooyahoo said:

Soul_29 said:

jfinnegan said:

after taxes and agent/mgmt fees, and a decade of living expenses he's lucky if he's got $2MM left. To last another 50 years. 

plus I think he loves playing.  He was never a problem on the team.

DanDietrich said:

plus I think he loves playing.  He was never a problem on the team.

unfortunately he was not good last season. He may need to sign a minor league deal. But I strongly believe he'll be playing in the majors with someone before the end of May. If he plays regularly he'll prove worthy of making an active MLB roster somewhere. 

ml1 said:

Maybe he can take Keith's spot in the booth in 5 years. 

jfinnegan said:

ml1 said:

Maybe he can take Keith's spot in the booth in 5 years. 

he'd probably be very good at it. 

jfinnegan said:

The Red Sox have a top prospect in Tristan Casas, the main reason they let Eric Hosmer go.  They also have Justin Turner as a backup at 1st if need be.  The Marlins might be a landing place for Dom as they need a first baseman, but they are first trying to trade a starting pitcher for a younger dude with upside, such as Casas (the Red Sox so far seem to not be listening, even though they need starting pitching).

Per reports, the Cubbies may still be talking with Dom, and the Royals also have a need at 1st that he might fill.  It was tough for him to come up when Alonso simultaneously burst onto the scene and grabbed a hold of 1st base, so perhaps a new environment and more playing time can help him realize his potential.

I agree that he is most likely to sign a minor league deal with an invitation to the major league camp and a chance to latch on and prove his worth.  

I will pull for him wherever he lands

ml1 said:

Dom is a Nat 

Yeah, a Nat fan friend told me that and asked about Dom.
He got my full endorsement.

jimmurphy said:

ml1 said:

Dom is a Nat 

if they hand the 1B job to Smith and he doesn't need to look over his shoulder he'll probably be very good for them. 

ml1 said:

jimmurphy said:

ml1 said:

Dom is a Nat 

if they hand the 1B job to Smith and he doesn't need to look over his shoulder he'll probably be very good for them. 

Does Joey Meneses not have a lock on 1B? I was crazy impressed with him last season.

Train_of_Thought said:

Does Joey Meneses not have a lock on 1B? I was crazy impressed with him last season.

Meneses can also play right field, whereas Dom is a first baseman only--the experiment of having him in the outfield was a failure defensively. 

Meneses hit the cover off the ball last year--.324 average, .930 OPS, 13 HRs and 34 RBIs in 233 at bats.

Smith replaces Josh Bell, who was temporarily replaced by Luke Voit who was subsequently non-tendered by the Nats.  Smith is not going to make anyone forget Bell, but he may be a serviceable first baseman and, what seems important for the Nats, he is a low-cost player.  If Meneses continues to hit like he did last year, he probably becomes the fixture at first base in a few years anyway.

Train_of_Thought said:

ml1 said:

jimmurphy said:

ml1 said:

Dom is a Nat 

I doubt it's a lock. The Nats are probably looking at a guy who spent 10 years in the minors and never hit the way he did for a couple of months in the bigs, and not ready to hand him the full time job.

ml1 said:

Train_of_Thought said:

ml1 said:

jimmurphy said:

ml1 said:

Dom is a Nat 

I doubt it's a lock. The Nats are probably looking at a guy who spent 10 years in the minors and never hit the way he did for a couple of months in the bigs, and not ready to hand him the full time job.

Because of...umm...Dom Smith?

Train_of_Thought said:

ml1 said:

Train_of_Thought said:

ml1 said:

jimmurphy said:

ml1 said:

Dom is a Nat 

because they'll both compete for the job in spring training 

ml1 said:

Train_of_Thought said:

ml1 said:

Train_of_Thought said:

ml1 said:

jimmurphy said:

ml1 said:

Dom is a Nat 

because they'll both compete for the job in spring training 

I hear you two arguing. Don't make me come down there!

Regarding Correa, is the problem that his leg would not be insurable since it is a known pre-existing condition?  Because otherwise why the problem given that to date it seems to have not limited his effectiveness or caused major IL time?  Pony up for insurance and go for it, otherwise.

Wayne Randazzo signs on with the Angels.  I will miss him in the Mets booth.

Mets say the are willing to walk away from Correa (limp away?).  Twins emerge as credible landing spot for Correa.

I think Correa will end up in NY. And I'm happy Randazzo is gone. Wasn't a fan. Never bothered to do some research on the history of the Mets and NY sports in general.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.