Meet the Mets (For Mets Fans Only!)

WxNut2.0 said:

ml1 said:

jfinnegan said:

I found it amusing that Hal Steinbrenner of all people is the one complaining about Cohen spending. 

it's also crazy that he's blaming Cohen's spending for the fact that there are teams that already know they won't be competitive next season. Is it Cohen's fault that the A's and Reds dumped all their best players last year?

there’s also this: https://twitter.com/dockev_/status/1605911938378211332?s=46&t=DE-9q-IYfTNm6CrUe-_N2g

"There's no collusion. But... there is a reason nobody for years went past $300M."

Sounds like collusion to me.

yahooyahoo said:

WxNut2.0 said:

BarneyGumble said:

I guess that makes Henry Aaron overrated,

Go check out Hank Aaron’s 162 game average WAR on bRef

Aaron #7 on the all-time WAR list.

he also played 20 years. Averaged 7 WAR per 162 of course, which speaks to the consistency. But the point I’m trying to make is that you can’t use RBI alone as a stat by which to judge a player. It’s a team stat; can’t drive in 4 with the bases empty every time you’re up. 

yahooyahoo said:

without looking I’m gonna try to guess numbers one through six. No particular order here.

Babe Ruth
Joe DiMaggio

Ted Williams
Mickey Mantle

Barry Bonds
Willie Mays

I’m sure about a few of them, the others were just wild guesses. There may be some more contemporary players I’m not thinking about.

mrincredible said:

yahooyahoo said:

without looking I’m gonna try to guess numbers one through six. No particular order here.

Babe Ruth
Joe DiMaggio

Ted Williams
Mickey Mantle

Barry Bonds
Willie Mays

I’m sure about a few of them, the others were just wild guesses. There may be some more contemporary players I’m not thinking about.

3/6; Williams is 14, Mantle is 21 and DiMaggio 67.

2 and 3 are pitchers. 

Who's Danny Mendick?

I must say I’m surprised about Williams. 

Hm. I also wasn’t thinking about pitchers. Sandy Koufax and Bob Gibson? Both utterly dominant in their era. Maybe Roger Clemens. 

I was going to sneak Kevin McReynolds and Jeff Kent into my first guess but I didn’t want to get suspended again. 

I would figure Walter Johnson would be up there. Koufax wasn't around for very long. I would think Seaver would be ahead of him.

Does WAR take longevity into consideration?

mrincredible said:

I think in terms of career WAR they take what your WAR is for each year and add it together. Would explain why Williams was lower.

Some guy named Kid Nichols is top 20 “WAR” all time.  Bet he played with a lot of stiffs.

BarneyGumble said:

Some guy named Kid Nichols is top 20 “WAR” all time.  Bet he played with a lot of stiffs.

My dude, Google is your friend here. Kid Nichols is one of the best pitchers of all time. Reached 300 games at a younger age than anyone ever. Lifetime ERA of 2.95. Finished every game he ever pitched in. 

I didn’t know about him until about three minutes ago!

mrincredible said:

My dude, Google is your friend here. Kid Nichols is one of the best pitchers of all time. Reached 300 games at a younger age than anyone ever. Lifetime ERA of 2.95. Finished every game he ever pitched in. 

I didn’t know about him until about three minutes ago!

only 278 lifetime RBIs though. 

ml1 said:

only 278 lifetime RBIs though. 

How often does a pitcher get around 20 rbi in a season? (Asking because I have no idea).

mrincredible said:

How often does a pitcher get around 20 rbi in a season? (Asking because I have no idea).

Other than Ohtani? I would say very rarely. deGrom was a very good hitter, but I doubt even he had 20 RBIs, especially since almost all of his games they scored 2 runs or less. 

BarneyGumble said:

you really might wanna try to understand this stuff before you comment. WAR is normalized against the era the player played in. 

jfinnegan said:

mrincredible said:

I think in terms of career WAR they take what your WAR is for each year and add it together. Would explain why Williams was lower.

correct, it is additive. 

mrincredible said:

it was a joke. A bad one, but a joke 

grin

ml1 said:

it was a joke. A bad one, but a joke 

grin

It was a perfectly good joke that sparked a curious question. I know I could look up the answer (Google is my friend) but sometimes I like to see what interesting tidbits of information people know here. 

So the Giants passed on a guy due to injury from 9 years ago, but they signed a guy that just had shoulder surgery in April and hasn't played in almost 2 years? Makes sense to me. They also seem to have a bunch of the same type of outfielders.

Interesting development for the Mets

DanDietrich said:

He was not worth keeping around.  

mfpark said:

DanDietrich said:

What are we referring to? Conforto or Correa?

Soul_29 said:

mfpark said:

DanDietrich said:

What are we referring to? Conforto or Correa?

LOL!  

As I said elsewhere, I am still betting he will be a Met one way or the other.  One of them will blink first, but Cohen is not going to let him get away.  Or so I hope.  Unless there is something a lot worse than being reported I think Cohen will say "f-it" and sign him on.

A guy on Twitter with the handle "Joe From Clark" was griping that the Mets and their doctors were going to drive off Correa just like they did when Vladimir Guerrero signed with Anaheim. What a dope. 

I'm pretty sure Jay Horwitz might be the only member of the Mets' front office who was there in 2003. 

My friend worked for the Mets in the late 90s/early '00s. He told me at the time that they will never win a championship as long as anybody he worked with is still there. There are only 2 people left. He now runs a sports book in Nevada and is willing to take any bets for any amount on the Mets winning it all.  

Shouldn't it be called Top 10 Gary booth calls? I never noticed how often Keith just says,"Wow." 

ml1 said:

A guy on Twitter with the handle "Joe From Clark" was griping that the Mets and their doctors were going to drive off Correa just like they did when Vladimir Guerrero signed with Anaheim. What a dope. 

I'm pretty sure Jay Horwitz might be the only member of the Mets' front office who was there in 2003. 

I had the pleasure of actually getting to listen to "Joey From Clark" calling in to the FAN today. Same guy, because he brought up the Guerrero thing again. Then he went on to talk about the Jets. Turns out I was accurate -- he really is a dope.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.

Sponsored Business

Find Business

Advertise here!