Meet the Mets (For Mets Fans Only!)

Soul_29 said:

Train_of_Thought said:

A hundy wins and a home playoff series -- this is EXCITING.

LET'S GO METS!!!!!!!!!

YES!!

Throw in a batting champ and a co-RBI champ, both MLB not just NL. Incredible season to be a Met fan. And it ain't over!!

My NL postseason prediction: 

Mets beat Padres

Cardinals beat Phillies

Braves beat Cardinals

Mets beat Dodgers in five games

Mets beat the Braves in seven games and advance to World Series.

Let's get it on.

#lfgm

And of course McCann went out and got himself a 3 for 4 yesterday. With a very long HR and a 107 MPH single. 

jfinnegan said:

How long do they wait before they postpone it? There's no reason to play it. 

2 hours grin

It was a fun day at the ballpark. The people who show up and wait out a rain delay are the super positive fans. Chatted with a couple of the bartenders in our section during the delay and they are super excited for Friday. They expect a World Series atmosphere. 

Hell of a year! 

And now three in a row at home in this strange new Wild Card process.

It is easy to get down on the Mets' chances in the post season.  Atlanta and the Dodgers are truly strong teams this year--solid and deep starting pitching, solid bullpens, and good hitters up and down the lineups. And as a fan it is all too easy to focus on the Mets' weaknesses--lousy hitting catchers, two aces who looked mortal the last few outings, a scary bullpen after Diaz.

But there are so many reasons to see good fortune for the Mets as well.

First and foremost, this is a really scrappy team that seems to never quit.  Add to that some really solid hitters in Nimmo, McNeil, Lindor, and Pete who all year have come through when needed.  And we cannot overlook Buck as a motivator this year.  Even when he struggles a bit, deGrom is formidable--especially if they score runs for him.  And Scherzer is one of the most accomplished post-season pitchers around.  A lot of positives going into a bunch of short series.

Meanwhile, the Dodgers have some real stinkers in their lineup--namely Muncy and Bellinger--both of whom I have always liked and both of whom can still be dangerous, but the last two years both have flirted with the Mendoza line and are often double-play machines.  LA's pitching up and down the roster has been astonishing and allowed them to stay in games when the top guns are not hitting (Freeman, Betts, the two Turners)--but can the pitchers keep it up in the post-season?  

And the Braves' middle relief has struggled at times, so they are beatable if you can get to the starters.  Of course, with starters shifting to the bullpen for a short series that may be a bit less of a point.

ml1 said:

2 hours
grin

It was a fun day at the ballpark. The people who show up and wait out a rain delay are the super positive fans. Chatted with a couple of the bartenders in our section during the delay and they are super excited for Friday. They expect a World Series atmosphere. 

They should have given anybody that showed up a voucher for Mets gear or tix to a game next year. Would have had a bye if they were in the AL East grin 

Darling was on the radio this morning saying they should start deGrom in Game 2 regardless of what happens tonight. He was saying you use your best pitchers as much as possible. I'm a bit concerned that they're hiding the seriousness of deGrom's blister issue.

Marte's on the roster. I wasn't expecting that. No Carrasco, Walker or Williams on the roster. I would have gone with either Walker or Williams. 

I would have kept Walker.

And I cannot believe that Ruf made the roster.  Why?  Backing up first?  In a pinch Canha or McCann can play first.

jfinnegan said:

Darling was on the radio this morning saying they should start deGrom in Game 2 regardless of what happens tonight. He was saying you use your best pitchers as much as possible. I'm a bit concerned that they're hiding the seriousness of deGrom's blister issue.

they could just be trying to mess with the Padres

DanDietrich said:

And I cannot believe that Ruf made the roster.  Why?  Backing up first?  In a pinch Canha or McCann can play first.

I don't get it either.   But it really shows you how weak Billy's trade deadline deals were.     I like putting Alvarez on the roster.   I have a feeling that he is going to do something big.

In the meantime, there is apparently a glut of tickets available.  Prices are dropping on the secondary markets and even the Mets wrote to me about tickets being available.

DanDietrich said:

Banking on a Game 3 against Snell I guess. Even with that I don't know why he would be in the lineup. 

I am hoping that the ticket I've been provided for on Sunday does NOT pan out. LGM!!!

Dodgers and Braves were the two best teams in baseball the second half of the year.  It will be hard to get past them to reach the WS.  But first, the Mets have to take care of the Padres.

Let's gooooooo!

Not off to a good start.  

Poor Mets. Poor Max. Poor us.

After the three-run homer I went for a beer to numb the pain, thereby missing the one-run homer and Max's Golgotha. 

Think good thoughts about Jake's various arm parts.

wendy said:

I am hoping that the ticket I've been provided for on Sunday does NOT pan out. LGM!!!

Reverse on that. 

Snell’s ERA is a half run better on the road, a run and a half better at night and since AS break an ERA of 2.19.

Mets don’t score three runs tonight and it’s ovah.

chalmers said:

wendy said:

Reverse on that. 

You bet! Ya gotta believe (quoting the person whose signature is on my baseball icon).  LOL

Putting Ruf in the lineup is just ridiculous.

DanDietrich said:

Putting Ruf in the lineup is just ridiculous.

Might as well just let degrom hit

I can't stand David Cone as a commentator.  

Are they going to try to get three innings from Diaz?

I don't understand why Jake didn't go one more.   Three from Diaz makes no sense.   

I do understand that if the Mets lose and didn't use Diaz it would be a mess.  But I would have started the inning with someone else to at least try to get one or two outs 

This umpire has helped the Mets.

Really amazing to watch the Mets site and how they are raising prices for tomorrow's game as this one winds down.   30 minutes ago Hyundai Club tickets were $550 each.  Same seats are now $664.

This is not stubhub I am talking about...it is the actual Mets.com site.

That's wild.  I never would have thought to check that.  I'd love to see that on a chart.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.