Meet the Mets (For Mets Fans Only!)

DanDietrich said:

jfinnegan said:

DanDietrich said:

you were exactly right.  They DFAd Marrero and Guillerme is back. 

No reason for Marrero to be on the team. I would have had Vientos bat in the 8th instead of Ruf, but I guess Buck is trying to see if he has anything left. Too late in the season to be trying that. 

I think Vientos needs a hit in the bigs before he is stuck in that situation.  Perhaps Canha could have connected with that fat pitch over the middle of the plate. Or Escobar could have come through.  Ruf isn't going to get it done.

definitely my thinking that Canha and Escobar were really the ones who needed to come through. They each could have driven in a run without even getting a hit.

After solemn and prayerful consideration of the events that have played out on the diamond during the past 48 hours, meditating upon the vagaries of chance and the interplay of luck, skill and fate, I have this to say: 

Arrrrrgh! Blaarrrrgh! Gah! Gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah! ^$%#$^@&^%#**$&%%%$!

They need to hit. 

Does Buck know there are only 20 games left. Can't be leaving Peterson in to see if he'll figure it out. 

Painful sweep by the Cubs.  At least the Braves lost tonight.

jfinnegan said:

Does Buck know there are only 20 games left. Can't be leaving Peterson in to see if he'll figure it out. 

was there even enough time to warm up Williams? Buck got him out of there after only what, 4 batters?

ml1 said:

was there even enough time to warm up Williams? Buck got him out of there after only what, 4 batters?

After 6 batters. I would have used a short reliever that doesn't need a lot of time and then have Williams start the 2nd. I would have been ok with him staying in for 4 batters, even 5. After he gives up a 2 run double you can't leave him in to give up another 2 run double. 

I don't know.  You have to try to give him a little time, if only to try to have arms for tonight.  Realistically every once in a while the Mets should be able to score some runs and dig out of a hole.  It was the Cubs. Not the Dodgers or Braves.  

DanDietrich said:

I don't know.  You have to try to give him a little time, if only to try to have arms for tonight.  Realistically every once in a while the Mets should be able to score some runs and dig out of a hole.  It was the Cubs. Not the Dodgers or Braves.  

Well that's true too. I used to hate seeing McCann come up. Now I prefer seeing him come to the plate instead of the designated "hitter." 

R.I.P. John Stearns. Took this pic at Old Timers Day. Will always remember him for breaking Dave Parker's face.

Train_of_Thought said:

R.I.P. John Stearns. Took this pic at Old Timers Day. Will always remember him for breaking Dave Parker's face.

"With two outs, in the bottom of the 9th, the Pirates still down by a run with the winning run Parker, on third base.

The next batter was (future Mets coach) Bill Robinson. Robinson hit a fly ball to left field, Dave Parker tagged at third base, the Mets outfielder, Joel Youngblood who had a good arm, caught it & threw home.
Parker took off all six foot five, 230 lbs of him barreling into Mets catcher John Stearns. Stearns caught Youngblood's throw, stood his ground tagged out Parker, and was knocked away from home plate.

Quotes- John Stearns:
"I gathered my senses & to my surprise the ball is still nestled in my mitt, like a sleeping baby. I showed it to the umpire & the game was over. I look over at Parker & he was still on the ground, moaning from a fractured jaw."

The Mets won the game 6-5."

http://www.centerfieldmaz.com/2020/06/remembering-mets-history-1978-tough-guy.html

mfpark said:

"With two outs, in the bottom of the 9th, the Pirates still down by a run with the winning run Parker, on third base.

The next batter was (future Mets coach) Bill Robinson. Robinson hit a fly ball to left field, Dave Parker tagged at third base, the Mets outfielder, Joel Youngblood who had a good arm, caught it & threw home.
Parker took off all six foot five, 230 lbs of him barreling into Mets catcher John Stearns. Stearns caught Youngblood's throw, stood his ground tagged out Parker, and was knocked away from home plate.

Quotes- John Stearns:
"I gathered my senses & to my surprise the ball is still nestled in my mitt, like a sleeping baby. I showed it to the umpire & the game was over. I look over at Parker & he was still on the ground, moaning from a fractured jaw."

The Mets won the game 6-5."

http://www.centerfieldmaz.com/2020/06/remembering-mets-history-1978-tough-guy.html

Obviously this is written poorly, but wouldn't there have been 3 outs when Youngblood caught the ball? That first sentence needs to be edited. 

Those teams with Stearns on them were my first experiences watching baseball. It could be rough at times.

I think every Met fan in the world thought that Walker should have been pulled after the first hit in the 7th.  He pitched great.

Interesting interview with Canha before the game yesterday, where he noted that he sees getting hit by a pitch as one of his offensive weapons.  As he said, when he is not swinging the bat well (as in the last few games), getting hit by a pitch allows him to still get on base and contribute.  He does not actively try to get hit (a la Ron Hunt), but ever since he moved closer to the plate he is more prone to getting hit.  When a pitch is coming at him he tends to not try to get out of the way.  The Mets are on a record-setting pace for getting hit this year, and he attributes this to having a lot of batters who spray the ball around the park while being patient, which means pitchers try to pitch inside more which leads to more hit batters.  Having Nimmo and Canha in the daily lineup kind of means there will be a lot of HBPs in any given year.  Come to think of it, Marte is among the career leaders and Alonso also gets plunked a lot.

They still need more hits with the bases loaded.  What won in Pittsburgh won't fly in Milwaukee.

It should be interesting to see who they put on the playoff roster. Gore is probably going to make it. I don't know which pitchers will make it. I don't really want to see Rodriguez, Givens or May come into a close game.

DanDietrich said:

They still need more hits with the bases loaded.  What won in Pittsburgh won't fly in Milwaukee.

Max is back tonight. Hope the rest helped, and that he is healthy again.  Going to be a cold night out there.......

The Brewers have been hot, going 8-2.  Burnes, who is starting, has been up and down the last few starts, but when he is on he is very much on.

Looks like Carrasco has nothing tonight.  

DanDietrich said:

Looks like Carrasco has nothing tonight.  

Thankfully Lindor and Alonso did what they needed to do (with the help of the guys who were on base at the time). 

It was great seeing Lindor do that on the first pitch after watching Canha look very weak.  

I wonder when other teams will get the memo to never pitch Alonso low in the zone?  His swing is perfect for balls around his knees. 

mfpark said:

I wonder when other teams will get the memo to never pitch Alonso low in the zone?  His swing is perfect for balls around his knees. 

Hopefully they get the memo in 15 years. His average on balls above the numbers is well below .200 and he has a hard time laying off them.

jfinnegan said:

Hopefully they get the memo in 15 years. His average on balls above the numbers is well below .200 and he has a hard time laying off them.

Yup.  And he also has been flailing a lot recently at breaking pitches heading well off the plate.

Still, hard to argue with 25 Doubles, 37 Homers, and 121 RBIs.  

That pitch to Alonso wasn't terrible.  He had to reach for it.  It was low, yes,but it was also outside and fading away.

No comments about last night?   {Crickets}

I feel that I am commenting too much, so I held off.  But I think the Mets got on the plane for Oakland about an hour before yesterday's first pitch.  I'm worried about both McNeil and Nimmo after those injuries, and I think the offense has really forgotten how they got here.  Very few deep at bats now.

I'm hoping that they do ok in Oakland. They tend to have issues on the west coast and they're going to be facing lefties. At least Finnegan helped them out yesterday against the Braves. 

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.