Meet the Mets (For Mets Fans Only!)

I'm coming to acceptance with a wild card. Not because I don't think the Mets will turn this around. They will. I just don't think Atlanta is going to lose again. 

I don't understand why they are changing their approach now.  Swinging at bad pitches as if they can't take a walk, and Nimmo flying out on the second pitch.  No grinding.  But clearly they don't want it as much as Atlanta does right now.

DanDietrich said:

I don't understand why they are changing their approach now.  Swinging at bad pitches as if they can't take a walk, and Nimmo flying out on the second pitch.  No grinding.  But clearly they don't want it as much as Atlanta does right now.

meh. When teams don't hit they look lifeless. This too shall pass. 

With all due respect, I am not sure Dom is the answer.  He was hitting 0.194 with no homers when he was sent down.  Granted, he had few at-bats and no consistent playing time when he was with the team this year, but he is doing just ok down on the farm--0.284 average, 0.811 OPS.  Not lighting things up down there.

Dom is more athletic than Vogelbach, who cannot run to save his life and is completely limited to being a DH, so I can see Dom replacing him as a left-handed bat.  But he would be at best a small part to the puzzle.  

As someone noted above, the entire line up seems to be rushing, lunging, not working at bats.  Perhaps they are getting tight with the Braves catching up and the post-season still a ways away.  The bottom half of the batting order is weak enough that when the top guys sputter there is not a lot of oomph to pick them up.  Lindor and Alonso have both suddenly gone dead cold at the plate the last 15 games or so.

Buck moved Alonso to second in the order, and McNeil at clean-up.  

Scherzer on IL until at least 9/19.

Vogelbach scored the only way he can--someone behind him homered.

Back to the game......

Here's a proposed rule change: no challenges allowed with 8 or more run differential after 5 innings.

DanDietrich said:

Here's a proposed rule change: no challenges allowed with 8 or more run differential after 5 innings.

Why?

Train_of_Thought said:

DanDietrich said:

Why?

Because it slows the game and will almost certainly not affect the outcome.

Respectfully, I feel like review often hastens the game. If a guy is erroneously called safe it lengthens things, creates extra at-bats, etc. A 90 to 120 second review that reverses it to an out can HELP the cause, no?

Sure.  But reviewing a HBP with a 10 run deficit?  Speeds up nothing.  Just accept the umpires call and move on.  

Well that I totally agree with. Different than a rule change barring blowout challenges altogether. Here's hoping for more such instances (aka Mets routs).

The offense comes alive, Lindor and Alonso heat up, Bassitt and deGrom are tossing bb's, and all you guys can talk about is instant replay in a lopsided game?  Jeesh!

Escobar is on fire the last 10 games and Naquin is having a good series, so that is welcome news at the bottom of the order.

The Mets have a decent schedule until the end of the month when they face the Braves again.  Over the next 18 games they are facing the Marlins, Cubs, Pirates, Brewers, and A's.  Only the Brewers have a winning record.  These teams are a combined 114 games below .500, with a total winning percentage of .416.  Meanwhile, the Braves face the Marlins, Phillies, Giants, and Nationals--not a terrible stretch for the Braves, either, but the 6 against the Phillies will be tough.

mfpark said:

The offense comes alive, Lindor and Alonso heat up, Bassitt and deGrom are tossing bb's, and all you guys can talk about is instant replay in a lopsided game?  Jeesh!

Escobar is on fire the last 10 games and Naquin is having a good series, so that is welcome news at the bottom of the order.

The Mets have a decent schedule until the end of the month when they face the Braves again.  Over the next 18 games they are facing the Marlins, Cubs, Pirates, Brewers, and A's.  Only the Brewers have a winning record.  These teams are a combined 114 games below .500, with a total winning percentage of .416.  Meanwhile, the Braves face the Marlins, Phillies, Giants, and Nationals--not a terrible stretch for the Braves, either, but the 6 against the Phillies will be tough.

Who would you like me to suspend?

Signed, The Commissioner

ml1 said:

I'm coming to acceptance with a wild card. Not because I don't think the Mets will turn this around. They will. I just don't think Atlanta is going to lose again. 

a day later I'm reassessing.

I'd like to see if Atlanta can win 3 in Seattle this weekend. If they do, I'll be convinced that they'll never lose again.

ml1 said:

ml1 said:

a day later I'm reassessing.

I'd like to see if Atlanta can win 3 in Seattle this weekend. If they do, I'll be convinced that they'll never lose again.

The Mets are on pace to win 102 games. If Atlanta wins the division all you can do is tip your cap to them.

Let's hope they left some whupass in that can of whupass they opened up on the Marlins last night.

Moammar said:

Let's hope they left some whupass in that can of whupass they opened up on the Marlins last night.

they really own Lopez

I'm hoping Vientos can get a couple of hits.  That way when Guillerme comes back they can justify keeping Vientos and releasing Ruf.  He just isn't a player right now.

DanDietrich said:

I'm hoping Vientos can get a couple of hits.  That way when Guillerme comes back they can justify keeping Vientos and releasing Ruf.  He just isn't a player right now.

Isn't Marrero still on the team? I would hope he's the one sent down when Guillorme comes back. I think Vientos will get a chance until Marte comes back. If he hits then Ruf will be gone.

jfinnegan said:

DanDietrich said:

Isn't Marrero still on the team? I would hope he's the one sent down when Guillorme comes back. I think Vientos will get a chance until Marte comes back. If he hits then Ruf will be gone.

right.  I forgot about him.  I was thinking that Vientos could double as the FB/DH backup.

Moammar said:

Even with all the run-scoring yesterday, the Mets still managed to leave 29 runners on base!

As for Ruf, he is hitting just a  buck-forty with no homers and 7 RBIs since he joined the Mets (22 games).  With the Giants for 90 games he at least had 11 homers and 38 RBIs.

Vientos was 0-5 and left 6 on base last night in his debut.  Hope he has that out of his system now.  He was really hitting well in AAA.

mfpark said:

Even with all the run-scoring yesterday, the Mets still managed to leave 29 runners on base!

As for Ruf, he is hitting just a  buck-forty with no homers and 7 RBIs since he joined the Mets (22 games).  With the Giants for 90 games he at least had 11 homers and 38 RBIs.

Vientos was 0-5 and left 6 on base last night in his debut.  Hope he has that out of his system now.  He was really hitting well in AAA.

And Vientos hit one almost out to the opposite field. Ruf I think is 1 for his last 30. That's worse than Cano. 

They did not look good last night.  Thankfully the Braves are humans as well.

jfinnegan said:

DanDietrich said:

you were exactly right.  They DFAd Marrero and Guillerme is back. 

DanDietrich said:

No reason for Marrero to be on the team. I would have had Vientos bat in the 8th instead of Ruf, but I guess Buck is trying to see if he has anything left. Too late in the season to be trying that. 

In the you never know category, Soto has been pretty bad for the Padres.

jfinnegan said:

DanDietrich said:

No reason for Marrero to be on the team. I would have had Vientos bat in the 8th instead of Ruf, but I guess Buck is trying to see if he has anything left. Too late in the season to be trying that. 

I think Vientos needs a hit in the bigs before he is stuck in that situation.  Perhaps Canha could have connected with that fat pitch over the middle of the plate. Or Escobar could have come through.  Ruf isn't going to get it done.

I love Canha, but sometimes he seems to guess and looks foolish. He took a fastball right down the middle with two strikes and the bases loaded in the first inning. You have to be looking fastball with two strikes and protect on breaking balls.  

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.