Meet the Mets (For Mets Fans Only!)

Wow, did you see the reports that Brodie called from home to pull deGrom in his last start?  It looked like deGrom was pissed at Mickey, but I wonder if he was more pissed at his former agent?  

I wonder how often GMs get involved in game decisions?  I cannot see this as being a good thing for anyone, including Brodie.

mfpark said:
Wow, did you see the reports that Brodie called from home to pull deGrom in his last start?  It looked like deGrom was pissed at Mickey, but I wonder if he was more pissed at his former agent?  

I wonder how often GMs get involved in game decisions?  I cannot see this as being a good thing for anyone, including Brodie.

Jeff Wilpon tells Brodie, who tells Mickey.

I hate the Wilpons. what did Mets' fans ever do to deserve this group of vampire/zombie bloodsuckers?

If Brodie was influencing Callaway's decisions during the game, I think that's outrageous. But in the era of helicopter parenting, I guess helicopter GM-ing shouldn't be a surprise. I wasn't following the story that closely. How did the media find out about it? If Brodie called Callaway, who was present to leak the story?

NotoriousEAM said:
If Brodie was influencing Callaway's decisions during the game, I think that's outrageous. But in the era of helicopter parenting, I guess helicopter GM-ing shouldn't be a surprise. I wasn't following the story that closely. How did the media find out about it? If Brodie called Callaway, who was present to leak the story?

Well, he is, of course, denying it, but I have seen at least three corroborations of the report.

Mets GM Brodie Van Wagenen Texted Staffer Mid-Game to Tell Mickey Callaway to Pull Jacob deGrom

25 JUN 2019

The Mets are just on a whole different level of crazy in 2019.

In case you were worried Brodie Van Wagenen wasn't qualified to be a GM, how about a manager? First-year general manager Brodie Van Wagenen reportedly texted a member of the dugout staff in the middle of the game to get Mickey Callaway to pull starter Jacob deGrom.

Marc Carig @MarcCarig As @NYPost_Mets first reported, a source says Mets GM Brodie Van Wagenen texted a member of the support staff to direct manager Mickey Callaway in the dugout to pull Jacob deGrom from a game in AZ. Yes, there’s more collaboration. But that level of micromanagement is unusual.
463 9:09 PM - Jun 24, 2019 Twitter Ads info and privacy

It's another wild piece of information to add to the bulletin board of absurd things to happen with the Mets this year, including a recent wild spat between Callaway and a member of the media.

Callaway has been under fire virtually all season for his odd managing techniques. He seems to either leave his pitchers in for far too long or pull them way too early, with very little in between.

This recent news might mean that some of that scrutiny is undeserved. It's good to have communication between the coaching staff and the front office, but it must be hard for him to manage with Van Wagenen breathing down his neck all of the time.

Anthony DiComo @AnthonyDiComo BREAKING: The Mets are fining both Mickey Callaway and Jason Vargas for their roles in last night's clubhouse altercation, but issuing no suspensions, according to general manager Brodie Van Wagenen. Van Wagenen called the altercation "disappointing" and "regrettable."
1,241 4:03 PM - Jun 24, 2019 Twitter Ads info and privacy

Van Wagenen was hailed as the next big thing when he signed on as the Mets' new general manager, but it's clear that his inexperience is getting the better of him.

Couple that with a manager who already struggled the year prior, and you've got a recipe for disaster.

Chris Dixon@cdixon25 Brodie Van Wagenen texted a staff member and directed them to have Mickey Callaway pull Jacob deGrom from the game? This team is unreal.
89 9:15 PM - Jun 24, 2019 Twitter Ads info and privacy

The last thing the Mets needed was micromanagement from the front office. They've got enough on their plate as it is, with Callaway's tussle with the media and the team's poor performance this year.

Now they've got issues with the man who's constructing the roster and the one trying to manage it.

A small bit of joy this year in the form of Alonso and McNeil surrounded by disappointment and creepiness of a kind that the Mets specialize in.  I include in the latter Darling's ugly dust-up with the POS Dyktra followed immediately by a cancer bout, and Figueroa's possibly drunken studio meltdown and firing.  And how about the fact that guys we were desperate to get rid of - Swarzak, Bruce, Robles -  are all doing well? 

To be fair, Robles and Swarzak were both hit hard last year--around 1.5 WHIP for each of them I think.  Their location and control were terrible much of the year.  That they both are sub 1 WHIP this year is good for them, but I don't think the Mets should be slammed for ditching them to see what better they could find.

With Bruce I could agree that they probably gave up on him too soon, but I think you would have been hard pressed to find many Mets fans who would have argued very strongly to keep him after last year's injury prone year.  He was (and is) very expensive, still strikes out a lot, and has a low on base percentage for a key hitter.  Yes, he has found his stroke again in Philadelphia, but it has been a small sample so far.  We shall see how the year ends.

Robles always seemed like a serious headcase but with real physical talent.

Im glad those guys are doing well, but I don't miss them. Who sits if Bruce is here?  Really, outside of Cano the offense isn't the problem this year.  Defense and the bullpen.

If Bruce stayed, one of our young guys gets squeezed out of playing time. As it is, I like having McNeil, Conforto and Smith/Davis getting reps. Smith is really showing patience at the plate and power to the opposite field. He's a better Nimmo at this point. If Cano starts hitting the lineup might be able to overcome the bullpen's inadequacies. 

Good teams find ways to win games like last night's.  Bad teams find ways to lose them.

mfpark said:
Good teams find ways to win games like last night's.  Bad teams find ways to lose them.

I’m not sure I agree with your first sentence.

mfpark said:

I'm not sure that having a really terrible pitching staff counts as "finding a way to lose."  

DaveSchmidt said:
 I’m not sure I agree with your first sentence.

What, you saying the Phillies are not a good team this year? 

ml1 said:

mfpark said:
I'm not sure that having a really terrible pitching staff counts as "finding a way to lose."  

Since pitchers are part of the team, why, yes, they are part of finding a way to lose.  This was a game the Mets could very well have won.  Their pitchers found a way to lose a winnable game.  

FilmCarp said:
Im glad those guys are doing well, but I don't miss them. Who sits if Bruce is here?  Really, outside of Cano the offense isn't the problem this year.  Defense and the bullpen.

I don't want them back.  Their collective resurgence is just more evidence of the Mets curse.

mfpark said:

What, you saying the Phillies are not a good team this year?

They have talent. But they're not a good team yet. 

Mets are toast.  Maybe they’ll have a shot at finishing 3rd in the NL East, but my money is on 4th.  They’re now off the DVR rotation, to be caught when I happen to be home with a spare TV free.  Again. 

Another late inning loss. This proclivity to losing games after the 7th inning is reminding me of the Mets' bullpens from the George Bamberger years.

And Cano still in the 3 spot.  For God's sake move him down.  O'Neill, Smith, Alonso, Conforto.  That should not be hard.

worst bullpen ever 

Lugo has a tired arm it seems.

mfpark said:
Lugo has a tired arm it seems.

maybe.  But he did get a strikeout that should have ended the inning with the score 4-2.  And Nido can't be blamed for it either, because he got in great position to keep the ball in front of him.  Instead it hits his glove and goes all way to the screen.

But, hey, how about that Dom Smith?  

20 blown saves already. Convert half of those and they’d be 1 game out of first.

Diaz just blew another save. 

I've seen a lot of things in baseball, but I have never seen a team blow this many late leads.  Any other team would be on about an 8 game winning streak right now.

I know this game is in Philly, but might need to move the fences back out at Citi if they don’t change the ball back.

The crazy thing is they're game-tying or game-winning homers! Ugly, ugly series. No relief in sight, literally and figuratively. 

They have 20 blown saves and only 18 actual saves.  Everyone said that this road trip was important.  Now it's over.  Fire everyone 

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.