Meet the Mets (For Mets Fans Only!)

For God's sake, blaming the manager because they can't pitch is crap.  Is he brilliant every time DeGrom pitches?

FilmCarp said:
For God's sake, blaming the manager because they can't pitch is crap.  Is he brilliant every time DeGrom pitches?

I'm not "blaming" him. I think he's still figuring out how exactly is the best way to use these guys. 

Minnesota Twins.  Impervious to Science!

Alonso really is exciting to watch. I really don't want to miss any of his at bats. It has been a while since I felt that way since, well, Cespedes. (Remember him?)

1st hit in the 5th. Happens so often. 

And I know that the offense is looking better this year.

Appears the Mets greatly benefited from the learning curve of a rookie manager.

That homer by Alonso was a laser shot.  

(The one by Acuna was not so shabby either).

mfpark said:
That homer by Alonso was a laser shot.  
(The one by Acuna was not so shabby either).

It will be interesting to see how Alonso handles his first big league slump, and what happens when he goes around the league a second time.  But the signs so far are pretty good in terms of his patience at the plate.  And he's not one of the "launch angle" guys, which suggests he won't have big holes in his swing to be exploited.  It's pretty amazing that a line drive hitter like Alonso can hit a ball 450 feet, or even more amazing, hit one 410 feet off the end of the bat:

https://www.sny.tv/video/2524174483/alonso-hits-a-bomb-to-center

Rosario leading off tonight.  Love Nimmo but right now it looks like he couldn't make contact with a Flinstone's bat.  something is wrong, mentally or physically. 

I agree about Nimmo, give him a few days rest.  What I'm always surprised about is the massive drop off in quality between starters and relievers.  A starter goes through the lineup three times and gives up two or three runs, and we all sit on the edge of our seats hoping the reliever can get through one inning with only two walks, a hit, and one run.    It seems like all teams have this problem.

Absolutely love all of the Mets announcers. Already discussing Vargas. Kudos to whoever gives them the rope to say what we are all thinking.

Pitching staff is just about where it was last year. After top 3 starters there are question marks, and failures. Matz is a question mark. Vargas and relief pitchers for innings 5- 7 are failures. Familia is 50-50. One good followed by one bad. 

it's time to replace most of this pen.  All the money they spent is wasted if they dont.

FilmCarp said:
it's time to replace most of this pen.  All the money they spent is wasted if they dont.

Who’s available beyond Kimbrel?

I don't know who is available.  There have to be some fairly good young guys that could be traded for.

wharfrat said:
Pitching staff is just about where it was last year. After top 3 starters there are question marks, and failures. Matz is a question mark. Vargas and relief pitchers for innings 5- 7 are failures. Familia is 50-50. One good followed by one bad. 

Guess I have to disagree with this comment.  deGrom has been shaky his last two starts, Syndergaard has been hit very hard the last two starts, and Wheeler was atrocious in his second start although he did pitch well in his third.

The one consistently decent starter so far this year has been Matz, of all pitchers.   We shall see how he does in Philly tonight.

Syndergaard was complaining of grip issues. DeGrom has been missing his spots by a lot - something you never see from him. Wouldn’t be surprised if the ball is different.

mfpark said:
 Guess I have to disagree with this comment.  deGrom has been shaky his last two starts, Syndergaard has been hit very hard the last two starts, and Wheeler was atrocious in his second start although he did pitch well in his third.
The one consistently decent starter so far this year has been Matz, of all pitchers.   We shall see how he does in Philly tonight.

Two 3 run homers and no outs in the first inning......

Couldn't bear it.  Had to turn it off after 8 runs in.

Mea culpa.  I am sorry for bringing the Curse of mfpark down upon Matz and the Mets.  I am having a similar impact on my AL team--the Red Sox.

To all the gods of baseball listening in, I am NOT eagerly tracking Christian Yelich's assault on all pitchers and am I NOT watching to see if Mike Trout will end the season with more hits that the rest of his team combined.  

One thing that's been striking so far is how many batters are being walked by the Mets as well as their opponents.  The weather has been pretty chilly, so I'm wondering if that's affecting pitchers on both sides.  The  Mets walked 4 guys in the 8th on Monday.  And the Twins walked 6 and hit two batters in one inning last Wednesday IIRC.  And then there was the game that the Mets walked 12 batters.  It's been brutal to watch, and I don't know what the explanation is.

In part I think the strike zone keeps getting smaller.  But many met pitchers are afraid to throw strikes.

FilmCarp said:
In part I think the strike zone keeps getting smaller.  But many met pitchers are afraid to throw strikes.

even the guys who have historically challenged hitters like Syndergaard and deGrom are all over the place.  I don't think anyone has an explanation for it.  

Keep hearing claims of a different baseball.

How is it that these claims of a juiced/changed baseball come up all the time and nobody ever does an analysis of whether the claims are true? 

Deconstruct a 2018 ball and a 2019 ball and compare. Doesn’t seem like it would be that hard. What am I missing?

That's 12+ years, for those of you playing at home.

I know this is for Mets fans only but I know the original poster and I don’t care if he bans me. Mets/Cards this weekend.  Vargas and then the big boys.  If the Cards can win tonight they’ll go 1-2.  That’s my prediction.  But even though Vargas has been awful, the Cards are notoriously awful against soft tossing lefties.  

Any predictions?

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.

Sponsored Business

Find Business

Advertise here!