Meet a Baseball Fan (Welcome to Anyone)

Judge has a rocket for an arm as an outfielder.  I am not sure if he is the best, but he is really good.  One of the things that you may not fully appreciate watching games on TV is how much faster the fielders can throw than the players can run.   

Great Met game against Miami last night. 

[Planning how/where to watch the 3 Atlanta games this weekend.]

Ohtani took a no no into the eighth inning yesterday.  punched out 10.  Plus 2 for 4 with a rib.

61 is great.  really is.  But Ohtani is the most valuable player.

Does anybody want the NL Wild Card spots?

jfinnegan said:

Does anybody want the NL Wild Card spots?

In the AL, the four teams competing for wild card spots have gone a combined 16-24 in their last 10 games.

Season wRC+ for Mets DHs: 87, or 13 percent below the MLB average for all batters. Tied for 24th among all teams. (Cardinals are No. 1 at 148. Braves are tied for 17th at 102.)

Dom Smith’s wRC+ this season as DH: 67. (Vogelbach as DH: 149. J.D. Davis: 102.)

Interesting stats.  Shows me to be wrong, so long as the number of at bats are similar.  Not the first time I've been mistaken

DanDietrich said:

Interesting stats. Shows me to be wrong, so long as the number of at bats are similar.

Interest, not naysaying, was the intent, and the team stats do back up your observation about Mets DH-ing overall.

PAs: Smith 152, Vogelbach 171, Davis 207. (Ruf is a distant fourth at 74.)

I didn't take it personally.  I like facts.  

Back to the lovefest: 6 2/3 perfect innings from Nola and 2 home runs from Schwarber. Not a bad way to clinch a playoff berth after 10 years.

Congrats and good luck to the OP.

Train_of_Thought said:

Congrats and good luck to the OP.

Until they face the Mets.

Amazing...a guy sets a new HR record in the AL, and one that many feel is the REAL, un-medicated, record in all of MLB, and is this even mentioned here? Nope...Only Mets bullsh!t, which already has it's own thread, so why here? Very disappointing. 

Why didn't you bring it up?  Everyone was rooting for him.  And frankly the good thing about both of these threads is that we all seem to respect each other, so take your curse outs somewhere else, please.

DanDietrich said:

Why didn't you bring it up?  Everyone was rooting for him.  And frankly the good thing about both of these threads is that we all seem to respect each other, so take your curse outs somewhere else, please.

I just did. How about some comments about it? Preferably, not something Mets-centric. BTW, I don't see any "curse outs".

Disgusting that that fan didn't give him the ball.   

Dennis_Seelbach said:

Amazing...a guy sets a new HR record in the AL, and one that many feel is the REAL, un-medicated, record in all of MLB, and is this even mentioned here? Nope...Only Mets bullsh!t, which already has it's own thread, so why here? Very disappointing. 

Unless I'm mistaken the only posts between Judge setting the record and your post was me congratulating and wishing luck to the Phillies and one reply saying except if they play the Mets. Respectfully, does this really rise to the level of "only Mets bullsh!t?"

Moving on (hopefully), yes Judge's 62 is an event of a lifetime of baseball watching, as is his entire season imho. I only wish he would have pulled off the Triple Crown.  Judge seems to be a class act and a totally root-for-able guy, and I'm thrilled to have experienced this as an objective baseball lover. I also, for one, think Judge has to be AL MVP, Shohei's multi-prowess notwithstanding.

Train_of_Thought said:

Dennis_Seelbach said:

Unless I'm mistaken the only posts between Judge setting the record and your post was me congratulating and wishing luck to the Phillies and one reply saying except if they play the Mets. Respectfully, does this really rise to the level of "only Mets ****?"

Moving on (hopefully), yes Judge's 62 is an event of a lifetime of baseball watching, as is his entire season imho. I only wish he would have pulled off the Triple Crown.  Judge seems to be a class act and a totally root-for-able guy, and I'm thrilled to have experienced this as an objective baseball lover. I also, for one, think Judge has to be AL MVP, Shohei's multi-prowess notwithstanding.

Thank you. My Mets issue relates to the exclusionary nature of the Mets thread, and the overall invasion of this thread by Mets comments.  It's not a timing thing, and I apologize if I gave that impression. 

More importantly,  the idea of a truly wholesome human being doing superhuman things should be more fully celebrated on a thread such as this. My complaint is that 24 hours after the fact, you and I are the only comments recognizing this feat.

Dennis_Seelbach said:

I just did. How about some comments about it? Preferably, not something Mets-centric. BTW, I don't see any "curse outs".

Really Dude? First comment about it is to give others **** for not bringing it up? 

Aaron Judge is a stud! He now holds the true MLB Single-season HR record in my eyes. Rocket arm. Great character. MVP over Otanhi. Would love to have him on my team.

Is that enough?

Just because Yankee fans are under-represented here, doesn’t mean that we need to represent for you.

Go. Represent!

And it’s Soul’s thread, but I’ve always chosen to interpret it as “No Haters,” as in no trash-talking and negativity, not exclusionary.

Maybe I’m wrong about that.

For the last few weeks, I have been stopping what I was doing to check out Judge when he was at bat.  Now I can relax from that.   I think some tv sports stations also were switching to his at-bats.  One of the best seasons for any player ever.  He also stole bases.   I hope they pitch to him in the playoffs and not just pick at the plate corners and are okay to let him walk.  Ps:  I never got a homer in any organized baseball league.  Lots of singles.   But I did admire and was astounded at how far some players could hit...it was a thing of beauty.  

jimmurphy said:

And it’s Soul’s thread, but I’ve always chosen to interpret it as “No Haters,” as in no trash-talking and negativity, not exclusionary.

And no recounting, with too much detail, trades involving Phillies prospects who would become future Mets. A reminder of the thread title from the Commish finally stuck.

RobertRoe said:

But I did admire and was astounded at how far some players could hit...it was a thing of beauty.  

If Jack “The Kid” Keats had seen a photo of Judge’s backswing after any of his home runs, he’d have forgotten all about the Grecian urn.

As my wife put it, Judge is one of those rare Yankees for whom you just have to put hatred aside and chalk up their pinstripes to one of fate’s misfortunes.

Son, four months into his first post-college job, seeing the Phillies’ start times of 3 p.m. Friday and 8:30 p.m. Sunday and discovering the havoc that playoffs can wreak on the end and start of workweeks.

DaveSchmidt said:

And no recounting, with too much detail, trades involving Phillies prospects who would become future Mets. A reminder of the thread title from the Commish finally stuck.

Fair point, and a good reason to start another thread.

I'm still voting for Judge, but saw these pretty incredible Shohei numbers on SC:

- First player in 109 years with enough IP and ABs to qualify for both the ERA and batting titles.

- Lowest season ERA by an Angels starter since Nolan Ryan 50 yrs ago.

- First player in 132 years to finish top 5 in HR and pitching strikeouts in same season.

- Since pitch counts have been tracked, most combined pitches thrown + pitches seen as a batter in same season, aka greatest workload of any player.

p.s. Mike Trout hit a 490 ft home run last night, longest of his career.

p.p.s. Ahhh, baseball.

Train_of_Thought said:

I'm still voting for Judge, but saw these pretty incredible Shohei numbers on SC:

- First player in 109 years with enough IP and ABs to qualify for both the ERA and batting titles.

- Lowest season ERA by an Angels starter since Nolan Ryan 50 yrs ago.

- First player in 132 years to finish top 5 in HR and pitching strikeouts in same season.

- Since pitch counts have been tracked, most combined pitches thrown + pitches seen as a batter in same season, aka greatest workload of any player.

p.s. Mike Trout hit a 490 ft home run last night, longest of his career.

p.p.s. Ahhh, baseball.

yeah, pretty amazing stuff. Judge would be my MVP if I had a vote, but numbers like those convince me it's not a slam dunk for Judge. An MVP vote for Ohtani is fully justified IMHO, in spite of how terrible the rest of his team is.

Dennis_Seelbach said:

dude. 

you're harshing my mellow.

ml1 said:

Dennis_Seelbach said:

dude. 

you're harshing my mellow.

Not intended that way. It just seemed that after 24 hours, SOMEONE who regularly posts on this thread would have done so. That, plus maybe a bourbon too many, got my anti-Mets bias a bit over the top. That's why I respect the Mets thread as being "for Mets fans only", and get upset when folks try to turn this one into the same.

To you, and anyone else I pissed off, my apologies. Judge is an almost perfect example of what I think we all wish our kids would grow up to be. He deserves as much fanfare as is possible.

I could be wrong, but I think we did spend a decent amount of the thread discussing how great of a season Judge has had. I apologize for not congratulating him on his 62nd homer. If only I knew he had been reading this thread. Congratulations Mr. Judge! 

And congrats to Gerrit Cole for setting the Yanks' single season strikeout record. 

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.