Meet a Baseball Fan (Welcome to Anyone)

jimmurphy said:

DanDietrich said:

It's funny that I have a different take.  I think Gary and Ron are a better team when it is only two of them.  Keith is forgetful and rambling.  He is very good but I think Ron stays more focused and also has a broad breadth of knowledge.

Yeah, I think Ron is more insightful but Keith somewhat more lovable with all his quirks. Just depends on what you prefer. All 3 is best!

My main problem with Ron is that he is pretty rigid in his opinions. (Whether this is just a personality thing or a Yale [I am smarter than all of you...] thing who knows.) All I know is that Gary - who has never played pro - knows his stuff and listens and Keith who has played - knows his stuff and listens, Ron sometimes does not descent from atop the I know it all summit.

wendy said:

jimmurphy said:

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

As I think I posted above, I’ve been watching lots and lots of Mets baseball, and enjoying it very much. The end of the season is getting very tense with Atlanta only one game behind.  Also, I really love Gary and Keith in the booth. I feel like I’ve really gotten to know them over the last six or eight weeks. They can be very funny. And Keith knows baseball, baby.
Last week, Keith made a Tower of Power reference. So great. 

Dunno if you're a convert, but enjoy your Met-fandom! 

We are blessed to have Gary and Keith, as well as Ronnie! No love for Ron?

I have no doubt Soulful will answer you but I can assure you that he was born a believer as I was as well. I too am watching more baseball this year than several years past: Wilpons gone; Covid sort of gone; ya gotta believe picks up again; and love the Buck.  But yeah, Soulful, no love for Ron?  The triumvirate of Gary, Keith and Ron works so well. Perhaps since these are away games only Keith or Ron travel, not both is my memory of that staffing.

As my good friend Wendy noted, I've been a Mets fan since before there was a Shea Stadium. In 1986 I went to 25 games. But I lost interest in the Mets for a number of years. Each year when they started out strong and collapsed after the All-Star Break took a toll on me. This year has been different - so far. So much fun. (They threw a terrible scare into me when they were swept by the Cubs a week or so ago. Brrrrr.) Great players, great manager, great team spirit, great pitching, etc., etc. I've watched a lot of games in the past 8 weeks or so and have enjoyed it more than in the past. I guess the old adage is correct: Winning Puts a Smile on Your Face.  

Ron Darling isn't in the booth for every SNY game. Gary and Keith are the core team. When Ronnie is on, I enjoy him very much. Keith (68) seems to be the hip one and Gary (64) the old-fashioned one. They're a joy to listen to. 

I completely missed that Castellanos meme. Had to look it up.

Jfinnegan,

Syndergaard pitched on Wednesday, the day before the Braves came to town.

fwiw, Thom Brennaman was always my least favorite announcer. I always found his voice cloying. And the gay slur incident was not his first time having to apologize to the audience. I recall this very clearly, and cringing through the entire episode:

All of which leads to the regrettable incident last Thursday during Game 2 of the Dodgers-Mets playoff series at Shea Stadium. Brennaman and Lyons bonded like spitballing 13-year-olds in a middle school lunchroom to mock a Mets fan who was wearing an unusual-looking device over his eyes to help his poor vision. Stephen Teitelbaum, blind except for peripheral vision in one eye, was wearing a Jordy, a magnifying device, to help him watch the game. 

Brennaman and Lyons could not know those details when the camera found Teitelbaum, but they could see that he was not goofing with a child’s toy. Still, they pursued him as if he were the class weakling. What was he wearing, they wondered?

“A Psycho-meter,” Brennaman said, to welcome Lyons to town.

“Maybe he’s in virtual reality,” Lyons said. If he is, Lyons explained, “he should stay there.”

And maybe, Lyons suggested, the Dodgers should don the contraptions to better hit Tom Glavine. Lyons then hit on the most logical puerile explanation: “He’s got a digital camera stuck to his face.”

This insensitive nonsense went on for 53 seconds while Marlon Anderson batted, offering a window into stunted imaginations. But it also underscored the failure by anyone at Fox to tell them to let up. Fox could have dispatched someone to Teitelbaum’s seat to report back on his condition. Instead, Teitelbaum’s family called Fox on Friday, leading to Brennaman’s on-air mea culpa early in Game 3 Saturday from Los Angeles.

DaveSchmidt said:

Jfinnegan,

Syndergaard pitched on Wednesday, the day before the Braves came to town.

I know. How convenient! 2 innings. 

I have been a Yankee fan since about 7 years old.  I really like the Mets, but my heart is with the Yankees.  Their announcers over the years have sometimes been unexciting but most were pretty good.  Susyn Waldman brought announcing to a very high level with her stats.   I love the banter of David Cone and Paul O'Neil and Michael Kay.  Going back many years, I loved how Bill White and Phil Rizutto would play off of each other.  And of course who can forget Mel Allen, "How about that?"  and the southern drawl of Red Barber.    

jfinnegan said:

I know. How convenient! 2 innings.

Two innings or 10, the Braves visited between his turns. And don’t forget, Thor is a member of the team that just gave the Mets a couple of gift games in their drive to a division title. Be kind.

Phillies did a good job tonight, that's for sure.

Pujols. Magnificent.

Two or three years ago, who’d have thought he’d make it?

I think everyone in baseball is cheering for him.

Was beautiful seeing The Machine unable to not smile while circling the bases.

Whomever catches these Judge HRs, I would not begrudge them keeping them.  The notion that they have to give hem back to a guy who’s about to ink a 400mm guaranteed deal is laughable.

Question: how do post season rosters work this year?  What was the deadline for a player to be eligible for a roster spot, and how big is the roster?  I would be stunned if the Mets carry Ruf into the post season, and if they aren't carrying him I'd rather see his at bats go to Dom Smith.

DanDietrich said:

Question: how do post season rosters work this year?  What was the deadline for a player to be eligible for a roster spot, and how big is the roster?  I would be stunned if the Mets carry Ruf into the post season, and if they aren't carrying him I'd rather see his at bats go to Dom Smith.

Deadline is normally 9/1, might be 9/2 this year. Anyone on the 40-man is eligible, so Dom would be OK. Ruf is completely lost - I agree.

DanDietrich said:

What was the deadline for a player to be eligible for a roster spot, and how big is the roster? 

https://www.mlb.com/glossary/transactions/postseason-roster-rules-eligibility

BarneyGumble said:

Whomever catches these Judge HRs, I would not begrudge them keeping them.

I’d throw the ball back unless it had traveled at least 450 feet, like real sluggers used to hit ’em.

DaveSchmidt said:

BarneyGumble said:

I’d throw the ball back unless it had traveled at least 450 feet, like real sluggers used to hit ’em.

^^^ In a ballpark like they used to build ’em.

DaveSchmidt said:

^^^ In a ballpark like they used to build ’em.

the Mauseleum!

A visit to the Coliseum for an A’s game five years ago made me nostalgic for the familiar confines of Veterans Stadium. The concrete concourses rang with this welcome: “Abandon all distractions, ye who enter here.”

DaveSchmidt said:

BarneyGumble said:

Lucy: "Charlie Brown, it says here that Mickey Mantle hit a 'tape-measure home run.' Do we have a tape measure for our home runs?"

Charlie Brown: "Most of our hits can be measured adequately with a six-inch ruler." 

I guess 3 out of 4 would have been too much to ask for.

Not to interrupt the Mets/Phillies lovefest, nut the Judge has risen to #61. A great accomplishment by a thoroughly decent, hard working, and respectful ballplayer. He's not the best player I've ever seen, but he's in the upper echelon.

I think everyone in baseball who doesn't have to pitch to him is rooting for him, along with every fan.  

Dennis_Seelbach said:

Not to interrupt the Mets/Phillies lovefest, nut the Judge has risen to #61. A great accomplishment by a thoroughly decent, hard working, and respectful ballplayer. He's not the best player I've ever seen, but he's in the upper echelon.

He'll look good in blue and orange next year  grin I'm happy that guy that travels around and is willing to knock over kids for balls didn't get the HR.

I read that when McGwire broke the record the guy that broke it asked to meet McGwire. McGwire said no so the guy kept the ball and ended up selling it for $3 million. Wonder what it's worth now. Probably about as much as my McGwire rookie cards.

DanDietrich said:

I think everyone in baseball who doesn't have to pitch to him is rooting for him, along with every fan.  

[Enter, Barney and Squiggy.] “Hello!”

jfinnegan said:

I read that when McGwire broke the record the guy that broke it asked to meet McGwire. McGwire said no so the guy kept the ball and ended up selling it for $3 million. Wonder what it's worth now. Probably about as much as my McGwire rookie cards.

It’s convenient that Bonds, McGwire and Sosa all played in the NL so that we can care about an AL record (especially now that the DH has capped the erasure of distinctions between the leagues) just because it’s shielded from that trio.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.

Sponsored Business

Find Business

Advertise here!