Meet a Baseball Fan (Welcome to Anyone)

DanDietrich said:

When I watch the Pirates I am struck by the fact that they have no veterans to talk to their players.

Interesting observation. A look at their roster, and a reminder of their relatively inexperienced manager’s background, back it up.

ml1 said:

https://twitter.com/snytv/status/1570958234063708161?s=46&t=b0EkmjShY7I6SRybyBIGcA

”It’s not the worst thing to do incorrectly, but …”

https://baseballtips.com/ask-the-coachanswersrounding-the-base-with-your-left-foot-html/

When a former minor-league instructor taught this at a training session that my son attended with some of his youth teammates, I thought, “Huh, that’s counterintuitive — I assumed that hitting the bag with the right foot minimized the distance,” but the momentum physics of the left foot makes sense.

ml1 said:

DaveSchmidt said:

Ha! I had to look it up: Both taken in the same round of the NFL draft — the 17th!

Stearns had an advantage. Pretty sure Winfield did not play football in college.

Right, Winfield played baseball and hoops at Minnesota, but not football. He was drafted as a football player seemingly on the basis of his incredible athletic ability. With more rounds in the draft, that wasn't unheard of at the time. For one, Preston Pearson of the Cowboys had a long NFL career after playing basketball, but not football, at Illinois.

The Phillies are in real trouble.  On!y 2 up on Milwaukee.

I guess the Phillies hate the Mets so much they went and lost three games to Atlanta. 

DanDietrich said:

The Phillies are in real trouble.  On!y 2 up on Milwaukee.

Time to pull a George Steinbrenner move and replace Thomson with Girardi.

I was going to write "pull a Steinbrenner move," but I realize there's a generation now where that would mean obsessing over merchandising profits and quietly wishing that your billion-dollar inheritance didn't involve people complaining about you.

DanDietrich said:

The Phillies are in real trouble.

And in other trends since 1883, so is vaudeville.

And now the Mets are playing Milwaukee, so after not helping us at all if we can win we help the Phillies.  

DanDietrich said:

And now the Mets are playing Milwaukee, so after not helping us at all if we can win we help the Phillies.  

Don’t do it for the Phils. Do it for Vogey.

one bit of news that may have been overlooked is that Patrick Corbin has turned around what could have been the worst season ever for a starting pitcher. He skipped a start in August, and has come back to have 4 strong starts out of 6, and even the other two were not as disastrous as he had been early in the year (5 runs in 6.2 to the Phils and 4 in 6 against Chicago). Let's hope the Corbin who showed up to hold the Reds and Padres to 2 runs and the Mets and Orioles to 1 is the guy who turns out against Atlanta this week.

Really hope Judge breaks the fake record Friday night on Apple tv with exactly nobody watching.  Maybe they can work a new shift for Judge too, with three IFs in short right field stands.  

BarneyGumble said:

Really hope Judge breaks the fake record Friday night on Apple tv with exactly nobody watching.  Maybe they can work a new shift for Judge too, with three IFs in short right field stands.  

what is wrong with you?  Are you seeing someone for help?

BarneyGumble said:

Really hope Judge breaks the fake record Friday night on Apple tv with exactly nobody watching.

Why are Maris’ 61 home runs a fake record?

DaveSchmidt said:

BarneyGumble said:

Really hope Judge breaks the fake record Friday night on Apple tv with exactly nobody watching.

Why are Maris’ 61 home runs a fake record?

I guess there are still people who think there's an asterisk.

ml1 said:

Just for sport — because, as the title says, anyone is welcome here — my guess is either that Barney accepts Bonds’ 73 as the only true record or, more likely, that he believes the fake record is the one Judge would set, not the one Judge would break.

DaveSchmidt said:

ml1 said:

Just for sport — because, as the title says, anyone is welcome here — my guess is either that Barney accepts Bonds’ 73 as the only true record or, more likely, that he believes the fake record is the one Judge would set, not the one Judge would break.

I gotta say I don't understand the comment at all.  Sixty-two HRs would be a legit AL record by just about anyone's reckoning. Especially if he gets to 61 before game 154.

Or is the MLB record the only "true" recond?

Either way, I'm spending too much time thinking about a dumb message board comment.  cool cheese

Maris’ record is just as “fake” as Bonds’.  What irks me is Bonds and Clemens (and Canseco and ARod and McGwire and Sosa and Palmiero are shat upon by nerd “purists” who actually think that a steroid shot can turn a David Segui into a Barry Bonds.  Hint:  It can’t.  These are the same people who think guys taking cortisone shots or epidurals or greenies of blueies are gamers.  The same people who think Big Papi and Mike Piazza are first ballot HOFers bc they weren’t filmed juicing,  The same people who think putting a guy at second base in extra innings is a cool idea.  the same people who think a pitch clock will get kids into following MLB.  The same people who talk about WAR and ISO but still don’t know wtf it means,  The same people who despise Pete Rose for betting on his own team to win but also have accounts at Draftkings and Fan Duel, two scam companies, each pushed on unsuspecting suckers by MLB.

BarneyGumble said:

Maris’ record is just as “fake” as Bonds’.  What irks me is Bonds and Clemens (and Canseco and ARod and McGwire and Sosa and Palmiero are shat upon by nerd “purists” who actually think that a steroid shot can turn a David Segui into a Barry Bonds.  Hint:  It can’t.  These are the same people who think guys taking cortisone shots or epidurals or greenies of blueies are gamers.  The same people who think Big Papi and Mike Piazza are first ballot HOFers bc they weren’t filmed juicing,  The same people who think putting a guy at second base in extra innings is a cool idea.  the same people who think a pitch clock will get kids into following MLB.  The same people who talk about WAR and ISO but still don’t know wtf it means,  The same people who despise Pete Rose for betting on his own team to win but also have accounts at Draftkings and Fan Duel, two scam companies, each pushed on unsuspecting suckers by MLB.

so nobody?

As I think I posted above, I’ve been watching lots and lots of Mets baseball, and enjoying it very much. The end of the season is getting very tense with Atlanta only one game behind.  Also, I really love Gary and Keith in the booth. I feel like I’ve really gotten to know them over the last six or eight weeks. They can be very funny. And Keith knows baseball, baby.
Last week, Keith made a Tower of Power reference. So great. 

BarneyGumble said:

If I ever sour that much on major-league baseball, I can only hope I’ll find another joy to replace it.

DaveSchmidt said:

If I ever sour that much on major-league baseball, I can only hope I’ll find another joy to replace it.

you could always take up yelling at the neighborhood kids. 

I have a friend I meet at the dog park most mornings.  He was going to the Yankee game last night.  I can't wait to ask him if he stayed for the entire game.  Could you imagine leaving after 8 last night?

DaveSchmidt said:

Reminds me of the old lady that used to come out with her hose and spray the bases we had just made with chalk on the street.

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

As I think I posted above, I’ve been watching lots and lots of Mets baseball, and enjoying it very much. The end of the season is getting very tense with Atlanta only one game behind.  Also, I really love Gary and Keith in the booth. I feel like I’ve really gotten to know them over the last six or eight weeks. They can be very funny. And Keith knows baseball, baby.

Dunno if you're a convert, but enjoy your Met-fandom! 

We are blessed to have Gary and Keith, as well as Ronnie! No love for Ron?

jimmurphy said:

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

Dunno if you're a convert, but enjoy your Met-fandom! 

We are blessed to have Gary and Keith, as well as Ronnie! No love for Ron?

I have no doubt Soulful will answer you but I can assure you that he was born a believer as I was as well. I too am watching more baseball this year than several years past: Wilpons gone; Covid sort of gone; ya gotta believe picks up again; and love the Buck.  But yeah, Soulful, no love for Ron?  The triumvirate of Gary, Keith and Ron works so well. Perhaps since these are away games only Keith or Ron travel, not both is my memory of that staffing.

Yeah, they're best together - we're definitely spoiled.

Even going back to the Ralph, Lindsey, and Bob days, if memory serves they rotated through the radio booth, so were rarely, if ever all together.

I have also watched more baseball this year than I have in years. They're a fun team to watch. It was painful watching guys making errors, but especially the way they ran the bases and had poor fundies as Keith would say. I don't mind Ron, but Gary and Keith do seem to work well together when it's just the two of them.

It's funny that I have a different take.  I think Gary and Ron are a better team when it is only two of them.  Keith is forgetful and rambling.  He is very good but I think Ron stays more focused and also has a broad breadth of knowledge.

DanDietrich said:

It's funny that I have a different take.  I think Gary and Ron are a better team when it is only two of them.  Keith is forgetful and rambling.  He is very good but I think Ron stays more focused and also has a broad breadth of knowledge.

Yeah, I think Ron is more insightful but Keith somewhat more lovable with all his quirks. Just depends on what you prefer. All 3 is best!

DanDietrich said:

It may be that I have bit of a grudge against Ron since I had loaned my friend Darling's book and when he ran into him at a bar Darling told him he would sign the book before he leaves then left without signing it. And my friend even bought him a drink! I'll admit that there are certain games where it seems that Keith is mailing it in. I can't believe he drives back and forth from Sag Harbor. 

The Judge homer came down very close to my older friend and his two adult sons last night.  My friend was knocked down by the rushing fans and others fell on top of him.  In the video his son can be seen waving his arms and trying to pull people off of his father.  Fortunately he was only bruised a bit.  They have tickets for tonight as well. I hope that they have a lot of extra ushers on duty.  People will fight over the next couple of homers.  They are going to be worth at least tens of thousands of dollars.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.

Rentals

Sponsored Business

Find Business

Advertise here!