Jefferson and Maplewood Avenue

ridski said:

Tom_R said:

If you haven't a cogent explanation as to why people ignore this particular stop light with such amazing frequency, we're just gonna keep running in circles, and I'm going to again suggest that people learn different skills, depending upon where they learned to drive.

Although, I believe it is note worthy that I learned to drive in the Bronx. A County in which I can not recall ever having seen a flashing red stop light. (But I still know it means STOP, and proceed only when the intersection is clear).

As for ridski's observations; they only noted that the drivers were human. Your extrapolation of his observation is not empirically justified.

TomR

LOL sorry, I'm watching the FailArmy channel right now. The NJ driving test is a joke, and most people who live and drive here can't drive.

As a parent of a newly licensed driver, it became clear as we watched some of the driving test videos that passing the test (on the course) was about fulfilling all the steps of the choreography, and not really about actual driving skill.

I think if anyone does actually stop for a full 3-Mississippi's at a stop sign when there are no cars coming from either side, it will result in the car behind them trying to drive around them.

sprout said:

I think if anyone does actually stop for a full 3-Mississippi's at a stop sign when there are no cars coming from either side, it will result in the car behind them trying to drive around them.

Imagine the ideas that go through the minds of drivers behind TomR at a four-way stop as the Mississippis mount while he waits for a car approaching from 100 feet away to come to a complete halt before he proceeds.

Fact.  There have been too many vehicular accidents at the Maplewood and Jefferson intersection.  Fact. We cannot say for certain why all of these accidents are occurring but individual experience and reports from people involved in or witnessing such accidents has led to some hypotheses as to why this is occurring.  Fact. The town has come up with a possible solution to make the intersection safer.  Fact.  We won’t know for certain if this solution works until we all give it a try.  This proposed solution is designed to counteract observed human behavior which may not be an indication of human intelligence at work in this instance.

joan_crystal said:

Fact.  There have been too many vehicular accidents at the Maplewood and Jefferson intersection. ....

This "fact" is a matter of opinion. Local collision shops would disagree.

The four way stops at maplewood Avenue and woodland/Walton will definitely slow down the traffic coming down Jefferson. After stopping at Walton, there’s no way anyone should be doing more than 20mph before they get to maplewood ave…. Whether you’re sentient or not. 

Jaytee said:

The four way stops at maplewood Avenue and woodland/Walton will definitely slow down the traffic coming down Jefferson. After stopping at Walton, there’s no way anyone should be doing more than 20mph before they get to maplewood ave…. Whether you’re sentient or not. 

You are giving these drivers too much credit.

yahooyahoo said:

Jaytee said:

You are giving these drivers too much credit.

Hahaha! I am willing to bet they can and will go faster!

KarenMarlowe said:

you guys….Mario Andretti lives up on Ridgewood right? smile

i've been going down Jefferson from Ridgewood all week.  I am wondering if raising the height of the traffic light would help?  if it was higher it would not be obscured by the hill maybe.

Any idea as to when the 4 way stop will happen?

jamie said:

Any idea as to when the 4 way stop will happen?

There will probably be some expensive engineering study first.

Jaytee said:

KarenMarlowe said:

you guys….Mario Andretti lives up on Ridgewood right?
smile

Barney Oldfield...

EdwardAlbert said:

i've been going down Jefferson from Ridgewood all week.  I am wondering if raising the height of the traffic light would help?  if it was higher it would not be obscured by the hill maybe.

I actually think the bigger blind spot will be coming from Maplewood Avenue towards Walton.  It'll be interesting to see how they'll handle this intersection.  The crest is much more dramatic in this direction.

Supporter jamie
said:

I actually think the bigger blind spot will be coming from Maplewood Avenue towards Walton.  It'll be interesting to see how they'll handle this intersection.  The crest is much more dramatic in this direction.

I think it is more obvious who has right of way there. I haven't heard of a lot of accidents there and I haven't really had problems with it myself.

sac said:

I think it is more obvious who has right of way there. I haven't heard of a lot of accidents there and I haven't really had problems with it myself.

I meant after they install a 4 way at Walton.  They were always worried that cars wouldn't be able to stop in time coming over the hill towards Maplewood Avenue - I'm just saying going the opposite is a bit blinder and has a shorter stop distance when heading over the hill from Maplewood Avenue towards Walton.,

Finally: a crosswalk.

For all these years, what were the Township’s Fathers (and Mothers) thinking?

4 way stops are up and running!

Went through it yesterday. For reference: the flashing lights on the stop sign were on for the Maplewood Ave stop signs, but not for the newer Jefferson Ave stop signs.

I've been through it a few times, and I swear the flashing light in the intersection has been changed to red bulbs.  Unless I'm blind.

DanDietrich said:

I've been through it a few times, and I swear the flashing light in the intersection has been changed to red bulbs. Unless I'm blind.

If you’re referring to sprout’s comment, I did a double-take, too, until realizing it was about flashing lights on the stop signs.

Correct. To try to make it clearer: The LED lights highlighting the octagon around the stop signs are on (and flashing) for Maplewood Ave signs. The Jefferson stop signs appear to have solar panel things to light the signs' octagons also, but they weren't lit last time I went through.

Somebody drove straight through the stop sign on Maplewood Ave in front of me yesterday. There will still be occasional accidents there. Just not likely at high speed. 

I was through there yesterday and I'm pretty sure that the lights on the stop signs for Jefferson Ave (at least in the uphill direction) were working. I certainly noticed the signs!

I hope it works well.  I still see people drive through the stop sign/blinking red light at the Prospect & Harvard intersection.

I learned not to try to make a turn from Dunnell onto Jefferson. There's a large sign by the bridge that makes it almost impossible to see cars coming down the hill. 

jfinnegan said:

I learned not to try to make a turn from Dunnell onto Jefferson. There's a large sign by the bridge that makes it almost impossible to see cars coming down the hill. 

The sign that blocking the view was mentioned on Facebook. I think Dean Dafis is aware of the problem.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.

Sponsored Business

Find Business

Advertise here!