How To Park Like a Tool

She was in dire need of Wellness

and the winner is (Quick Chek, Vauxhall/Union).......  Three spaces including the handicap' space, windows open, sounded like it was running....no one in the car, driver comes out and appears to be a 20 something refugee from the 80s.

Hello from Massachusetts.  

RobB said:

Hello from Massachusetts.  

some people seem to think the access aisle is there so they can give their passenger or (themselves) room to get out the other side by parking on the aisle.  But, if your passenger  or you needs room, you need to back in to the spot so the side you need room is next to the access aisle.

I would say that the driver in question was definitely in need of a handicap space.

tomcat said:

I would say that the driver in question was definitely in need of a handicap space.

not funny

frick and frack at Livingston Shoprite

I once had an issue with a person (I knew who she was) parking half on the access aisle.  She does have a disability, walks with a limp, but is able to walk her dog around the block..no need for extra room on the other side (not on the access aisle). I use a motorized chair for distance and needed to get through one day.  The access aisle was the also the path to the walkway and I couldn't get through.  I had to go all the way around the building.  She also works with people with severe disabilities and should know better.  I left her a note saying sorry about the scratch, but I need to carry furniture through and you were blocking the path.  There was no scratch.  I just wish I could have been there to see her looking for the 'damage'....but she started parking legally.  If for some reason you need extra room on 1 said, you BACK in to the space if necessary so the side you need room on faces the access aisle.  if this is 'head in  parking only' try to contact someone or just put a note on your car saying you needed to back in for access.

Not long ago, i was at a dept store.  I heard a passenger tell the driver she had illegally parked on the access aisle...i was dumbfounded as to why he wouldn't have had her correct it

I happened to be there when the person on the right parked. She was a young woman - maybe 30, with her under 10 year old son. Neither had even the slightest hint of a physical disability.

you can't tell just by looking.  also, they could have been meeting someone else who was disabled.  If you see me get out of the car, I usually look fine at that point.  But I have gotten to the point i am having trouble with short trips to Target or Shoprite.  Shoprite I usually just use the cart for stability (unless I know I will only need a few items (I use a shoulder bag to shop in that case) and will be quick and it would be easier to not deal with the cart.  But in Target-or Walmart- I almost never need a cart and find shopping with the bulky cart a hassle .  I have to know where in the stores are places to sit (shoe section.  I went to a Target I wasn't familiar with and the layout was a little different.  I couldn't do it--was too much walking.  Once in Walmart I wanted to compare  2 items and my legs gave out standing at the shelf.  By the time I get back to my car, is the issue....and once I get home you see it even more.   after having walked around the store, than sat in the car on the way home-i get stiff and have to drag my legs out of the car, push up on the door, and shuffle until I have full movement back again.....i also have more of an issue carrying items out which makes it harder to walk......i have a cane and manual wheelchair....they are a hassle, but I need to start using them (the motorized is too much to load/unload for a short trip).  I can' sit and push a manual chair (except within a small area like standing in line).  I stand and walk it and just use it to sit and look at products when I need to....sometimes it is suspicious..i've seen an athletically dressed young mom bounce out of the car and jog to the stores...but unless you have a lot of time to observe repeatedly, you can't assume they are misusing it...and the signs of disability might be subtle and still invisible.  A person may be short of breath and you just can't notice.

while it has been debated....technically autism qualifies sometimes.  the rule is unable to safely walk without assistance.  if you have a child with autism who is unaware of traffic and prone to darting away that would fit the definition.

I have a handicap placard myself. I can't walk 200 feet without getting out of breath.

This woman was not meeting anyone.  I watched them go in the store - they were there to shop. She sent her son to get a shopping cart - he was not unaware of traffic.

Apart from the bad parking, she was clearly mooching off of her placard. I mean, some things are just obvious.

I don’t have a permit - haven’t applied - but there are times my migraines & TBI would qualify me: exceptionally narrowed field of vision and awareness, I can’t always tell in which direction sounds are coming from unless I’m able to look all around me (car parks are awful for uninterrupted vision), I’m quickly dazzled and over-stimulated by glare and bright lights…plus thunderstorm asthma sharply reduces my lung capacity to helpless gasping. 
I drive an older, manual car. Sometimes I don’t have the strength to release the handbrake. 
Yet if you watch me walk into the shops, steer my trolley or pack my car you can’t see my muscles shaking nor the sweat pouring through my new thick curls, or under my bra - you’d just think I’m another ‘Karen’ feeling the heat and being lazy today. 
(I don’t park in the accessible bays, I’m often clearing trolleys from them. Recently I’ve twice had to ask strangers to assist me in getting my car partway from the parking areas so I could get home.) (yep, I’m doing something about my driving)

drummerboy said:

I have a handicap placard myself. I can't walk 200 feet without getting out of breath.

This woman was not meeting anyone.  I watched them go in the store - they were there to shop. She sent her son to get a shopping cart - he was not unaware of traffic.

Apart from the bad parking, she was clearly mooching off of her placard. I mean, some things are just obvious.

oh, so you saw that they weren't picking anyone up at that location after they were done shopping.  you have some special visual skill where you can see pain or balance issues and know she didn't send the son to get a cart because she needs it for balance...ok.....people with legit placards park on the access aisle a lot.  and should be ticketed.  but you can't be 100% sure a person is not disabled just by watching them once in a store.  I was brought up not to let my pain show.  I am accustomed to hiding my pain from others...sure its suspicious...but you don't have the ability to make an official determination whether either was disabled or not.  you honestly wouldn't be able to tell watching me in shoprite  (i also don't normally use the HC space as there are other nearby spaces and I don't need the access aisle at that time).

Some people don't have constant symptoms.  They may feel fine when they get there, but could have a medical episode unexpectedly.  There are even weird allergies where people just have to limit as much outdoor time as possible.  One is a weird reaction to cold.

Most of the time, if I am well enough to go out, I don't need the HC parking.  But one day I needed to be out and stopped at the Rockaway Mall for lunch.  I parked outside the food court in HC, went in, ate, came back out.  Between the mall and my car, i felt my leg give a few times.  I got in my car and looked up at a guy with a Harley shaking his head at me as i was draped over the steering wheel because I was too weak to sit up without resting.  I am very frustrated with the fakers and people who park on the access aisle and block wheelchair access....but its just as frustrating being given attitude unjustly.

there are also people who have a placard in their name who aren't really legally entitled.  some docs will sign off on anything.  I can't give details, but i know woman, middle aged, with a medical condition. She is on SSDI and has HC parking...but works for cash at a physically demanding job (standing/walking most of the shift in a fast paced environment, regularly carrying 10 pounds)...so even if authorities approach someone who appears to be faking, often they have the ID to back them up....I have no problem with someone politely asking, but i do have a problem with people assuming I am faking and giving me attitude.

On Springfield Ave.?...

-s.

soda said:

On Springfield Ave.?...

-s.

looks like it. 

In front of the post office

Not only did these two jerks drive the wrong way down the parking lot, but jerk #1 couldn’t even back into the space properly.

This was in W.O., near Seton Hall Prep. Kid literally parked on somebody's bumper, then walked to school at SHP. He was later asked by WOPD for his information...

-s.

soda said:

This was in W.O., near Seton Hall Prep. Kid literally parked on somebody's bumper, then walked to school at SHP. He was later asked by WOPD for his information...

-s.

so glad to hear.  The SHP kids park like this frequently and the local homeowners have had it.  Some of them park partially across an open driveway.  They just don't care

The kid was probably late for his Entitlement 101 class...

-s.

MsSumida said:

soda said:

-s.

so glad to hear.  The SHP kids park like this frequently and the local homeowners have had it.  Some of them park partially across an open driveway.  They just don't care

Which car belongs to the SHP student?

Not sure what he was thinking, or wasn't thinking.

A friend - not in MAPSO but nearby - had a long driveway that was often parked across by HS students, sometimes to the point he had to drive on grass and over a curb to exit. Finally one morning he was right there. Young man parked 3-4 feet over the driveway. My friend told him to move. Driver said, “I can’t. I’ll be late for school.” My friend replied, “You’re also gonna be late for dinner, because I’m about to have your car towed.” The car was immediately moved. 

So this happened at lunch today. No big deal, but I do expect a bit more from my fellow Subaristas. I guess there was nobody sitting on the passenger side...

-s.

What does everyone think of this parking strategy?

All cars park with their wheels on the line rather than the middle of the spot.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/viral-tiktok-users-debating-real-184923537.html

His idea? Park on the lines, not between them. The concept, his clip claims, would guarantee that everyone has an equal amount of space when getting out of their car in a parking lot.

“See how evenly spaced they are?” the TikToker asked while showing a row of cars all parked on the driver’s-side line of their spot. “Imagine if everyone at Walmart parked on the lines.”

That's no different than everyone parking centered in their spot, and people can't do that now.

DanDietrich said:

That's no different than everyone parking centered in their spot, and people can't do that now.

I get it right most of the time. When I miss, it's because I'm adjusting to the meatball who tool-parked next to me.

soda said:

So this happened at lunch today. No big deal, but I do expect a bit more from my fellow Subaristas. I guess there was nobody sitting on the passenger side...

-s.

I park like that next to the dumpster. Gives me more room on the driver’s side. There’s many more tools to worry about…

Well, I confess. Ninety minutes ago, at a local (to me) shopping mall with very narrow parking bays, I parked a little crookedly, over the passenger’s side line and at  the nose edge of the bay. Worse, the young electrician on the other side of the empty bay between us just smiled and said ‘It’s not that bad, love. You did someone a favour- if they’d parked on that drain grid it’s bad luck, like stepping on a crack’.  oh oh

We agreed it’s not too bad at 8:10 am with a mostly empty carpark…

At CVS by Columbia High School.  I was inside for about 10 minutes, when I came out she was still parked like that, busy on the cell phone.

Looks like CVS is due for a fresh coat of paint on their parking lot lines.

This is not an excuse for her parking job, though.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.