Home invasion

My prediction is that he will be out with little more than time served. The man's 25 year long history of grievous, violent crimes and minimal prison time is proof positive that nothing is going to stop him until he kills someone.

Shawn Custis is living proof of the failure of the New Jersey criminal justice system.

Scary part is that had they not had a video surveillance system this animal would be coming to a theater near you

Apparently Custis will go to trial in December 2015. The fact that he has refused to take a plea deal is encouraging. Perhaps, after a lifetime of brutal violence with few consequences, this monster may finally serve some real jail time.

guys who break into random houses and physically assault women and kids ain't too bright

Apparently Custis has been offered a plea deal for 20 years which would have put him out on the street on parole in 8 years with time served. In the absence of a plea deal, due to his voluminous record of violent crimes, he may face a 40 year sentence of which he would be required to serve at least 34 years.

It seems that, in addition to being a violent sociopath, Custis isn't terribly bright.

http://www.nj.com/essex/index.ssf/2015/10/accused_nanny-cam_attacker_says_he_wants_to_go_to.html

34 years sounds good to me. Let him rot.

Why would they offer him a plea deal?

skadave said:

To speed up the process and save time/money.

GGartrell said:

skadave said:

Given Custis' history of brutal violence with few/no consequences I would think it would be worth the time and money to make sure he rots in jail until he is too weak to assault a fly.

A plea deal is fine when the perp was caught with a couple joints. When a prosecutor is dealing with a violent criminal with a history of attempted murder, I would think it would be incumbent on him/her to make sure that society is protected.

If Custis gets back on the streets it is only a matter of time until he kills someone.

Klinker said:

GGartrell said:

skadave said:
Given Custis' history of brutal violence with few/no consequences I would think it would be worth the time and money to make sure he rots in jail until he is too weak to assault a fly.
A plea deal is fine when the perp was caught with a couple joints. When a prosecutor is dealing with a violent criminal with a history of attempted murder, I would think it would be incumbent on him/her to make sure that society is protected.
If Custis gets back on the streets it is only a matter of time until he kills someone.

Yep

Another reason for offering the plea deal might be to prevent stress to the victim, having to avoid testifying.

Formerlyjerseyjack said:
Another reason for offering the plea deal might be to prevent stress to the victim, having to avoid testifying.

Am I the only one who is disconcerted that the maximum sentence for this crime, with countless violent priors is 40 years? The plea ought to be for 40 years and he ought to be induced to take it to avoid life in prison.

Much as I feel for the victim, this "man" is a clear and present danger to our society. The idea that prosecutors might actually let him out to strike again in a mere 8 years ought to give all of us pause.

Where did 8 years come from? The plea is for 20 and with the no early release act, he would have to serve 85% of that time for 17 years

Klinker said:

Formerlyjerseyjack said:
Am I the only one who is disconcerted that the maximum sentence for this crime, with countless violent priors is 40 years? The plea ought to be for 40 years and he ought to be induced to take it to avoid life in prison.
Much as I feel for the victim, this "man" is a clear and present danger to our society. The idea that prosecutors might actually let him out to strike again in a mere 8 years ought to give all of us pause.

Klinker said:

GGartrell said:

skadave said:

I agree with you but thats just not how it works.

bog said:
Where did 8 years come from? The plea is for 20 and with the no early release act, he would have to serve 85% of that time for 17 years

The prohibition on no early release does not apply to the plea deal. Thus far, in the course of his long career of brutal violent crime, the most Custis has ever served of any sentence was 50%. 50% of 20 years with 2 years already served is 8 years.

Maybe we'll get lucky and he'll die in prison - you never know...

case said:
Maybe we'll get lucky and he'll die in prison - you never know...

I don't think prisons are generally kind to people who beat women and traumatize children

There is an interesting article in today's Times about Tyrone Howard, the man who murdered Officer Randolph Holder. Howard appears to be the New York version of Shawn Custis, a violent sociopath who has repeatedly committed heinous crimes but served little or no time. Now Howard has killed a cop and he presumably will spend the rest of his life in jail.

If only there was some way to remove these individuals from paths that seem almost certain to result in the death of innocent citizens.

Custis' trial has now been delayed until at least February.  Apparently, his lawyer found that he was unable to defend Custis.  I don't know whether this means that the lawyer threw up every time Custis entered the room or just that whoever was paying the ambulance chaser ran out of dough.  

Now Custis will have to get a long with the public defender.

http://www.nj.com/essex/index.ssf/2016/01/trial_delayed_for_accused_nanny-cam_attacker.html

I believe the lawyer was a public defender.

Custis is likely mentally unstable and got into conflicts with the defense strategy.

Formerlyjerseyjack said:

I believe the lawyer was a public defender.

Custis is likely mentally unstable and got into conflicts with the defense strategy.

Olubukola Adetula is in private practice.  I suppose he might of taken this case pro bono although that would be "bono" of the most general sort.

This trial is currently under way.  The judge has allowed Custis' confession but is also letting the jury consider racist comments made by one of the investigators.

Update

http://www.nj.com/essex/index.ssf/2016/05/nanny_cam_jury_told_to_disregard_former_officers_i.html

Its hard to believe that the trial is taking this long.  Custis has served shorter prison sentences.

Klinker said:

This trial is currently under way.  The judge has allowed Custis' confession but is also letting the jury consider racist comments made by one of the investigators.

I hope they throw the book at Custis but I also hope that that cop is fired.

eliz said:
Klinker said:

I hope they throw the book at Custis but I also hope that that cop is fired.

Yes.  

http://www.nj.com/essex/index.ssf/2016/06/nanny_cam_suspect_guilty_of_aggravated_asssault_cl.html#incart_2box_nj-homepage-featured

Bye.

Jackson_Fusion said:

http://www.nj.com/essex/index.ssf/2016/06/nanny_cam_suspect_guilty_of_aggravated_asssault_cl.html#incart_2box_nj-homepage-featured

Bye.

Yay! I never watched the video before. Very disturbing. As was said before, he had been arrested time and time again... he needs to never get out.

someone should set him on a blind date with "Alice Baker"

max_weisenfeld said:

Don't read the comments

Okay. I won't. Thank you.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.