Home invasion

I don't want to fall into any category of people in denial about this. I guess it could happen to anyone, anywhere, BUT . . .

Isn't the presence of the "nanny cam" slightly serendipitous? It was set up perfectly to document the crime.

I'm just skeptical enough to wonder about that.

This guy chose to beat the woman and left many valuable items behind. Why not grab the T.V. off the wall if he's so drug ravaged?

It's mainly a video of a home invasion beating, not a stealing things video. Why? What drugs make someone want to do that?

How the hell would a drug-crazed criminal carry a large flat screen while fleeing from a crime scene?. That's just dumb. You steal small valuable things you can move with quickly and sell quickly. Cash and gold.

And, I guess you don't know much about drugs. It's a common side-effect of many drugs to become enraged & violent.

Really crappy of you to suggest in any way this was staged. Shame.

Should you and I have a debate about the decisions people make while "on drugs?"

The decisions of a person "on drugs" can take any number of directions. Beating a woman rather than stealing "small valuable things you can move quickly and sell quickly. Cash and gold," is just as odd.

Does everyone have a "nanny cam" in their front living room when there is a stay at home mom with the kids?

I thought the woman who was attacked was the mother. Why would there be a "nanny cam" if there is no nanny?

I'm just asking skeptical questions. I'm not ashamed, yet.

Let me guess- you don't believe we landed on the Moon.

spouse said:

Should you and I have a debate about the decisions people make while "on drugs?"

The decisions of a person "on drugs" can take any number of directions. Beating a woman rather than stealing "small valuable things you can move quickly and sell quickly. Cash and gold," is just as odd.

Does everyone have a "nanny cam" in their front living room when there is a stay at home mom with the kids?

I thought the woman who was attacked was the mother. Why would there be a "nanny cam" if there is no nanny?

You know zero about this family. Speculate away, but don't do it in a manner that suggests the woman who just got her guts stomped out in her own home in front of her kid staged it.... Because that's what you're doing.

"Just asking questions" is the dodge. Your "questions" (blah blah isn't it serendipitous?) are designed to accuse, and they do.

You want to share what your experience is with violent criminals and their behavior? Your experience with thieves? Your experience with the impact of drugs on home invasions? Your scholarly work on what is easily fenced? The wisdom of stealing diamond rings and putting them in your pocket vs ripping a tv off the wall and strolling through Millburn?

You have none except for TV shows. So in the name of a minimum level of decency, please, keep your completely unsupported, unfair, and frankly slightly unhinged theories about people setting up nanny cams so they can video themselves getting nearly killed for..... Help me out here. I need some fantastical motive for doing that- to yourself.

And I do have a security cam on the first floor. It's not there to record my setting up my family to be assaulted near to murdered so I can.... Well, I'm still struggling with why I'd do that. It is, however, there for the nefarious reason of "that is where the family and sitters spend the bulk of their time with the kid indoors".

So.... Just put down the shovel.

I'm sure the Millburn Police will ask plenty of questions on their own. No MOL support needed. What they need from us: Do you know this guy?

No?

Ok, thanks for your help, bye.

So much for showing a little respect to the woman and her family. God forbid something like this happens to any of you some day and you come on here and have to read all this crap.

So what do we do - now that school is out - about our kids being home alone. My son is almost 14 and it would be appropriate for him to be home alone at this point. This makes me uncomfortable with it. Made arrangements for him to be with a friend today. What about the couple of hours I will be at work Friday morning, etc... (sigh)

I hear you, AliGrant. :-|

Perfect reason to have a gun in the house...IMO

Well to begin with I wouldn't advertise the fact that your son will be home alone. Things happen but that doesnt mean it will happen to you. Live your life.

Browneyes said:

In a case such as this, you would have have to have the gun in a shoulder holster on your person and you would have to react to every noise as if it was a potential intruder. Makes sense if you are at some Army base in Afghanistan. Here in the 'burbs? Not so much.

tjohn said:

Browneyes said:

In a case such as this, you would have have to have the gun in a shoulder holster on your person and you would have to react to every noise as if it was a potential intruder. Makes sense if you are at some Army base in Afghanistan. Here in the 'burbs? Not so much.
Perfect reason to keep your alarm on, even during the day until they catch this guy?

Yep. Usually, the worst thing that can happen with a false alarm is the a police car uses a bit more gas.

Browneyes said:

Yes. So you spend your savings defending a wrongful death lawsuit by perp's mother because you used deadly force not commensurate with the threat.

Browneyes said:

I would love to hear how exactly you think a gun would have helped this woman. She has a three year old which means it would have to be locked up separate from the bullets. At what point in this video could she have collected the gun and bullets to load it?

Browneyes said:

For use by a 14 year old who might have friends over? Great idea. We know teenagers have such good judgment.

I had a crush on a super-brilliant guy a year ahead of me in high school. He ended up puncturing the lung of his best friend when they decided to play with the display swords that were on the living room wall.

Ok I have to clear some stuff up as I have a small bit of knowledge about the situation.
- The family has had a nanny in the past, not sure if they have one at this moment. Just happened the mom was home that day.
- Both parents are upstanding people. Any thought this was "because of the husband" or something else is wrong.
- The assailant was unknown to the victim. Whether this means the perp picked the house at random or that the perp knew something about this house or family and selected it for a reason is unknown.
- There were HS kids home next door who heard nothing and never saw the perp. Of course they were playing video games so...
- The outside of the house that was shown on the report I saw (Monday am NBC) was not the house in question.
- The house had no alarm. It does now. Even if it had an alarm who the heck would have it on at 10:30am when people are home?
- No idea if the family has a gun (though I doubt it), but a gun would not have helped. When you have a 3 year old you would have the gun(s) locked up. The vicitim clearly had no time to pick up the phone, much less get to a gun safe, unlock it, and load the gun.

My thoughts go out to the victim and her family during this difficult time.

wendyn said:

Ok I have to clear some stuff up as I have a small bit of knowledge about the situation.
- The family has had a nanny in the past, not sure if they have one at this moment. Just happened the mom was home that day.
- Both parents are upstanding people. Any thought this was "because of the husband" or something else is wrong.
- The assailant was unknown to the victim. Whether this means the perp picked the house at random or that the perp knew something about this house or family and selected it for a reason is unknown.
- There were HS kids home next door who heard nothing and never saw the perp. Of course they were playing video games so...
- The outside of the house that was shown on the report I saw (Monday am NBC) was not the house in question.
- The house had no alarm. It does now. Even if it had an alarm who the heck would have it on at 10:30am when people are home?
- No idea if the family has a gun (though I doubt it), but a gun would not have helped. When you have a 3 year old you would have the gun(s) locked up. The vicitim clearly had no time to pick up the phone, much less get to a gun safe, unlock it, and load the gun.

My thoughts go out to the victim and her family during this difficult time.

So enough BS speculation about this crime. Thanks, wendyn.

Jackson_Fusion said:

spouse said:

You know zero about this family. Speculate away, but don't do it in a manner that suggests the woman who just got her guts stomped out in her own home in front of her kid staged it.... Because that's what you're doing.

"Just asking questions" is the dodge. Your "questions" (blah blah isn't it serendipitous?) are designed to accuse, and they do.

You want to share what your experience is with violent criminals and their behavior? Your experience with thieves? Your experience with the impact of drugs on home invasions? Your scholarly work on what is easily fenced? The wisdom of stealing diamond rings and putting them in your pocket vs ripping a tv off the wall and strolling through Millburn?

You have none except for TV shows. So in the name of a minimum level of decency, please, keep your completely unsupported, unfair, and frankly slightly unhinged theories about people setting up nanny cams so they can video themselves getting nearly killed for..... Help me out here. I need some fantastical motive for doing that- to yourself.

And I do have a security cam on the first floor. It's not there to record my setting up my family to be assaulted near to murdered so I can.... Well, I'm still struggling with why I'd do that. It is, however, there for the nefarious reason of "that is where the family and sitters spend the bulk of their time with the kid indoors".

Okay. So I guess your answer is, "No I don't find it odd. (And I'm angry that you are even asking questions about a very unusual video.)"

Got it. I also don't understand where anyone would think that the woman herself was responsible for this. That isn't a part of my speculation and anyone who fills in the blanks with that has only themselves to deal with.

I was more suspicious of someone else having arranged this and setting up the camera as an alibi. I mean, now there's a man hunt out for a large Black man with a white t-shirt and jeans - not for her husband or his (theoretical) lover.

Maybe there are cameras in lots of living rooms where people record the mundane behaviors of themselves and children during the day. Not at my house, or anyone I know.

Thank you Mr. Fusion for sharing that you do this. Not sure which of us is unhinged given that revelation.

if I understand the dynamics on this message board now, it means we now engage in BS speculation about wendyn's credibility and motives for her post.

in all seriousness, wendyn thank you for the information. Unfortunately although it brings clarity, it doesn't make the situation any less troubling.

Jackson_Fusion said:

spouse said:

Okay. So I guess your answer is, "No I don't find it odd. (And I'm angry that you are even asking questions about a very unusual video.)"

Got it. I also don't understand where anyone would think that the woman herself was responsible for this. That isn't a part of my speculation and anyone who fills in the blanks with that has only themselves to deal with.

I was more suspicious of someone else having arranged this and setting up the camera as an alibi. I mean, now there's a man hunt out for a large Black man with a white t-shirt and jeans - not for her husband or his (theoretical) lover. (Who, yes, I assume are not large Black men in white t-shirts, perhaps wrongly.)

Maybe there are cameras in lots of living rooms where people record the mundane behaviors of themselves and children during the day. Not at my house, or anyone I know.

Thank you Mr. Fusion for sharing that you do this. I'm not sure you've proved which of us is unhinged given that revelation.

Anyhow, Medeco makes a good dead bolt. My main concern in the door frame though. I think the front and back doors are substantial enough, but I need new strike plates and longer screws.

The side door frame is flimsy. No way around it. It's hidden behind the basement door though, I think a big ugly steel plate will be okay.

That theory sounds...bonkers.

Jesus, STFU already.

Well, less bonkers than a murdery drug ravaged thief busting down a door at 10:30am? This is a bonkers situation all around. Not defending the speculation, just saying that NONE of this makes sense.

Are there organized neighborhood watch groups in Maplewood? I've been here 3 years and still unsure. Lately I've been thinking it would be good to get involved with a group or organize one in my neighborhood. At least an email distribution for neighbors to share information about suspicious activity.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.

Rentals

Sponsored Business

Find Business

Advertise here!