Embarrassing, but I need a CPA to do my 2023 Taxes...

Intuit failed me in getting an extension, because after 10PM their system crashed 'til well after 1 AM.

But I know I'm not the only one, because local preparers I'd been researching now have no appointments available 'til the end of the month  -- if not later!

Are YOU a CPA willing to squeeze another MOL'er into your schedule?  It's a simple, individual return for someone receiving SS Security and some investment income.

OR
, do you KNOW anyone who is who is CERTIFIED, reliable, and (of course), NOT TOO EXPENSIVE?

Please PM me here ...(don't want someone else to get the first shot at them).  I'll be watching as closely as I can (while I research every other option I can think of).  Thanks in advance!

I don’t have a specific name, but family members have had very positive experiences with the HR Block office in Short Hills, between Wendy’s and Bagels 4 U. 

I have used John’s tax service on Springfield avenue in maplewood for years. They’re right next to the dance studio/police headquarters/ maplecrest park where Tuscan road meets Springfield avenue.

For next year, consider using the AARP Tax Aide program.  There is no charge.  You need to have a relatively simple return though.  

If (IF) not getting a timely extension is the only problem, why not continue with TT (if it’s back up)?

If tax will be due, that (or an approximation of what you think will be owed) can always be submitted now, electronically, before the return is finished, to head off any interest accumulation.

joan_crystal said:

For next year, consider using the AARP Tax Aide program.  There is no charge.  You need to have a relatively simple return though.  

I've used them for years!  Love the service.  But I think with the libraries all under construction, etc., they didn't start out with live sign ups.  They directed me to Intuit.  Then, much later, I heard about sign ups for that program, and by then all the in-person appointments were taken.  Irvington Library told me I was months late in signing up.  I would MUCH rather have used them, and guess I just have to start trying to get a spot by Christmastime this year for 2024 taxes.  It's a WONDERFUL service, and I knew many of the volunteers who were working it, which made it even better.  But AARP directed me to Intuit this year.   gulp

The ongoing construction at the main building of the Maplewood Library would have had no impact on the Tax Aide program in Maplewood since in person appointments have been at another location.  The information regarding in person locations for this year was posted to several Facebook Groups including Maplewood Seniors Advisory Committee, Silver Streaks, and SOMA Two Towns For All Ages.  Consider joining one or more of these groups to get timely notification for next year.  

joan_crystal said:

The ongoing construction at the main building of the Maplewood Library would have had no impact on the Tax Aide program in Maplewood since in person appointments have been at another location.  The information regarding in person locations for this year was posted to several Facebook Groups including Maplewood Seniors Advisory Committee, Silver Streaks, and SOMA Two Towns For All Ages.  Consider joining one or more of these groups to get timely notification for next year.  

Good advice, as always, Joan.  But the surging growth of targeted Face Book Groups has just given me a lot more to keep track of or miss out on because I wasn't aware of which ones already existed, or which ones were new to the scene. 

When I called AARP directly, they told me the program wouldn't be available and gave me a referral number to use with Turbo Tax.  By the time I caught wind of in-person appointments, they were all filled up.

Of course, I'll sign up for the groups you suggested, but that will mean I'll have to spend a lot more time on Facebook checking in or somehow keeping aware of what they have scheduled.  Got by me this year.  Not the end of the world, (though taxes are so often aligned with death).  At least i know I'm not the only one to miss the extension deadline, since no one I've followed up with has any appointments for another month!

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.

Sponsored Business

Find Business

Advertise here!