COVID- 19 Back to normal?

terp said:

Weird, if the Lab Leak hypothesis is debunked by science then why is Vox stealth editing articles and politifact updating their fact checking? 

Vox’s answers to the first part of that question:

Editor’s note, May 24, 2021: Since this piece was originally published in March 2020, scientific consensus has shifted. Now some experts say the “lab leak” theory warrants an investigation, along with the natural origin theory. Some language in this article was updated in April 2020 to reflect scientific thinking, but it has not been updated since then. For our most up-to-date coverage, visit Vox’s coronavirus hub.

Editor’s note, May 25, 2021: An editor’s note was originally added to this piece in April 2020 to acknowledge the ongoing discussion of the “lab leak” theory, but updates to the piece were not mentioned at the time. A new editor’s note was added on May 24, 2021, to acknowledge language changes that were made last April and to clarify the current scientific thinking around the lab leak theory, which has continued to evolve.

https://www.vox.com/2020/3/4/21156607/how-did-the-coronavirus-get-started-china-wuhan-lab

Politifact’s answer to the second part:

Editor’s note, May 17, 2021: When this fact-check was first published in September 2020, PolitiFact’s sources included researchers who asserted the SARS-CoV-2 virus could not have been manipulated. That assertion is now more widely disputed. For that reason, we are removing this fact-check from our database pending a more thorough review. Currently, we consider the claim to be unsupported by evidence and in dispute. The original fact-check in its entirety is preserved below for transparency and archival purposes. Read our May 2021 report for more on the origins of the virus that causes COVID-19.

https://www.politifact.com/li-meng-yan-fact-check/

I find this whole argument to be a little silly. We know the virus cares not a whit who it infects. It's fatality rate is around 1%, and unpredictable at that.

Why would they have released such an ineffective weapon on the world?

This type of virus is unreliable and capable of uncontrolled blowback on its supposed creators, their health and their country's function. Why would they risk release without their own protection? Why would these scientists be dumb enough to work with a virus type known to be uncontrollable? That's like trusting soldiers to be effective fighters armed only with a Saturday night special. There are much more dangerous vectors to use for developing a bioweapon. For these reasons it does not make sense that an experimental weapon was accidentally released into the wild.

Okay, so maybe not a weapon but medical research into previous SARS-type viruses for treatment. Knowing how to study specific parts of a virus that have distinct functions, it would be galactically stupid not to study them in isolation, just as the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines only produce the spike protein as an antigen.

I could go on but it is time to actually do useful things around the house and study.

Went back to the city today, for the first time since March 2020. I was surprised at how great it felt to be back. I'm only going to do a day a week over the summer, but what an amazing, bordering on magical, technology vaccines are.

Anytime you start with an end in mind, you’re not going to get to the truth. So if there’s an investigation into the origins of Covid, you can’t start at “there’s no way it escaped from a lab, now let’s figure this out! Leave no stone unturned...except that one.”

I honestly can’t believe it’s necessary to actually write that down, but here we are. 

That being said, China absolutely covered up early outbreaks of Covid. I guess it’s also possible they just completely whiffed, but I doubt it. We have nasal swabs from the US and France from Nov 2019 that are positive for the virus. We have blood banked in Italy in Sep 2019 positive for antibodies.

RobB said:

That being said, China absolutely covered up early outbreaks of Covid. I guess it’s also possible they just completely whiffed, but I doubt it. We have nasal swabs from the US and France from Nov 2019 that are positive for the virus. We have blood banked in Italy in Sep 2019 positive for antibodies.

I hadn't seen that. I wonder if they have sequencing data for any virus they recovered. That might shed light on its rate of mutating and the appearance of viable variants.

RobB said:

Anytime you start with an end in mind, you’re not going to get to the truth. So if there’s an investigation into the origins of Covid, you can’t start at “there’s no way it escaped from a lab, now let’s figure this out! Leave no stone unturned...except that one.”

I honestly can’t believe it’s necessary to actually write that down, but here we are.

The question is: Do you honestly believe that’s how the origin was investigated?

RobB said:

Is anyone actually saying that?

Let's try to stay on topic here and maybe do an origin of Covid thread elsewhere.

Stop and Shop no longer has arrows on the aisles.  Mask sign in front of store encourages people to wear a mask - but not mandatory.

Wawa - fully vaccinated people don't need a mask.

Many of us at the Woodland for the Wrembel show were mask-less.  Seating had some measure of social distancing - and doors were open.

ml1 said:

The Covid-19 Lab Leak Theory Is a Tale of Weaponized Uncertainty

Scientists almost never say they’re sure, and it could take years to pin down the pandemic's origins. Until then: People are trying to scare you.

Jon Stewart weighs in.  

Funny stuff, but the "debunking" of this "conspiracy theory" is looking more and more curious.  And it's not a China thing.  The US science industrial complex aka "the science!" funded this and it looks like they may have tried to cover it up.  

Well, I have some thoughts.. but my main takeaway is that Terp tends to ignore direct requests. Or maybe doesn't read to the end of a thread before responding:

jamie said:

Let's try to stay on topic here and maybe do an origin of Covid thread elsewhere.... 

terp said:

[Stuff intended to continue the origin of Covid discussion here].  

Origin is being discussed a lot in the rose garden thread in the politics section- please join the convo there or start a new thread.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.

Rentals

Sponsored Business

Find Business

Advertise here!