Bear sightings!

{This is the Millburn Police Dept 
There have been bear sightings throughout town 
Animal control and the Millburn Police Dept are monitoring the situation 
Use caution when letting pets outside and beware of your surroundings. }


EMPTY YOUR BIRD FEEDERS!!! Bring them in for the next couple of weeks.


Anyone else getting tired of almost daily (and often multiple) phone calls, emails, text messages reporting bear sightings?


 I'd like to see a CSI-style animated graphic tracking the bear(s) all over town(s).

I would rather get an alert than come across a bear unawares while walking down a residential street.


We have friends who live adjacent to a cemetery in Glen Ridge. She sent me a picture she took (with her phone) of a black bear strolling amongst the headstones.


Fortunately there's a tall iron fence between their yard and the cemetery. 


I was chatting with someone at Marshall Field Day today. They said a bear was spotted in the West Montrose area in South Orange. Can anyone comment or corroborate?


I don't want to perpetuate erroneous information but I'd like to know if anyone has heard something more.



joan_crystal said:
I would rather get an alert than come across a bear unawares

Or a bear's underwear.



ridski said:


joan_crystal said:
I would rather get an alert than come across a bear unawares
Or a bear's underwear.

LOL! That would totally suck.

I would also far rather have alerts all the time than come across a bear as a surprise to both of us. Bikefixed reported on Facebook that he has seen the bear while he was out running. From a distance, fortunately.

I'm a little surprised it has been roaming freely for this long.


Just saw a very current discussion in my Facebook news feed. Adult bear and cub spotted in SO, most recently reported in Newstead. Anyone spotting the bear (hopefully from a secure vantage point) is asked to call SO Animal Control or SOPD immediately and report the precise location.


Bear sighting this morning at South Orange/West Orange border between Ridgewood and Wyoming (Luddington?) Seems to have moved on into West Orange


According to the SOMA Lounge on Facebook, a bear cub was sighted this morning between Glenside Road and Melrose Place in South Orange.

mrincredible said:
I was chatting with someone at Marshall Field Day today. They said a bear was spotted in the West Montrose area in South Orange. Can anyone comment or corroborate?


I don't want to perpetuate erroneous information but I'd like to know if anyone has heard something more.



This was taken on Hillside Place this morning. I did not take the pic, it was forwarded to my wife.


Probably everyone already knows this, but if you see the cub, do NOT approach it, even if you don't see the mother anywhere. The mother will be extremely protective of the cub and will not tolerate any humans near it.


Now I have to go clean the grease from my grill.


....and whatever you do, do not offer the bear food from your pick-nick basket.


So now there will be bear crossings on Valley Street instead of wild turkey crossings? Geesh, anything else to make me late? LOL!


There have been bear sighting all over Millburn, as far from SO as the Poets section. So either this bear is really getting around or there is more than one.


Good information here.


http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/bearfacts.htm


More here. https://twitter.com/shorthillsbear


Bring in your bird feeders and any pet food you leave outside the back door for your kitties. I guess garbage cans can go in the garage too, right?


I know this may sound silly, but I'm kinda excited about a bear near my house ... I love nature and whether it's a deer who eat my plants, foxes, coyote, crazy turkeys, or even a bear -- it makes me feel I live within nature oh oh



ridski said:
More here. https://twitter.com/shorthillsbear

Yes!! I was just saying that someone needed to make a Twitter account for this bear.



afa said:


ridski said:
More here. https://twitter.com/shorthillsbear
Yes!! I was just saying that someone needed to make a Twitter account for this bear.

@Westorangebear.


from just a few moments ago



ace789nj said:
from just a few moments ago

What is?



mrincredible said:


ace789nj said:
from just a few moments ago
What is?

The pic that didn't attach. What the frig? I haven't posted pics since the forum change. Anything funky need to be done?



ace789nj said:


mrincredible said:



ace789nj said:
from just a few moments ago
What is?
The pic that didn't attach. What the frig? I haven't posted pics since the forum change. Anything funky need to be done?

I haven't tried it myself yet.


Photos probably need to be resized. Ask Jamie to please help you.


In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.

Advertise here!

Rentals

Sponsored Business

Find Business